Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Michigan Quilters: Grayling Quilt Shop Closed >

Michigan Quilters: Grayling Quilt Shop Closed

Michigan Quilters: Grayling Quilt Shop Closed

Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 AM

Question Michigan Quilters: Grayling Quilt Shop Closed

Greetings,

I just noticed the Ice House Quilt shop in Grayling, MI closed last year. Does anyone know why? There is a new business called Ausable Fabrics & More. Sad since the Ice House was an original ice house, beautiful shop.

Pat
Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 AM

I'm not sure that I ever stopped at that one. But there have been so many that have closed. It's sad.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:27 AM

Oh no. I haven't been there in over a year but I love that shop when I did go.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:55 AM

I stopped whenever I was in the area, too. It will be missed.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:55 AM

I was shocked when I went there earlier this year to find them closed. When we ate at Spikes, we asked about the Ice House. We were told they closed because of "lack of support & sales" and Ally decided it was no longer worth staying open. (Have not heard nor seen AuSable Fabrics & More. ) We need to remember to support our local quilt stores.....and USA made fabrics so they can strive and survive . Have you tried Delphine's in Gaylord...........beautiful shop.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Travelin2some View Post
I was shocked when I went there earlier this year to find them closed. When we ate at Spikes, we asked about the Ice House. We were told they closed because of "lack of support & sales" and Ally decided it was no longer worth staying open. (Have not heard nor seen AuSable Fabrics & More. ) We need to remember to support our local quilt stores.....and USA made fabrics so they can strive and survive . Have you tried Delphine's in Gaylord...........beautiful shop.
there are so many wonderful shops in Michigan. Are any of you doing the Row by Row? The participating shops are giving out free patterns plus you get to check out some great stores.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:07 PM

Hadn't heard about Ice House closing . . . what a shame. I do LOVE Delphine's in Gaylord and am super partial to Village Fabrics & Crafts waaaay up in Paradise. There is a GREAT new shop in Merrill (btw Alma and Saginaw on 46), too. OK, I could go on and on about MI shops I really like, but it would be a looooooong reply
Old 07-25-2014, 02:15 PM

I love the shop in Paradise, MI as well--always stop if we are nearby. I haven't shopped at Delphine's in Gaylord, MI yet but thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:11 PM

Default It's worth the trip north

Originally Posted by pseudoquilter View Post
I love the shop in Paradise, MI as well--always stop if we are nearby. I haven't shopped at Delphine's in Gaylord, MI yet but thanks for the heads up!
I'll be heading to Ausable Fabrics & More in Grayling this week. https://www.facebook.com/ausablefabrics It's on E. Michigan not too far from the Ice House building.

If you're heading farther north be sure to stop at Delphines in Gaylord and Indian River Quilt House before you cross the bridge to other quilt shops in the UP. Check out the Row By Row MI map to see where shops are located.

The Row By Row Experience took me to central MI. I visited some lovely shops in Greenville, Carson City, Ovid, St. Louis and Merrill. Not all were Row By Row participants but it was worth the stop. The country drive was so peaceful. The corn is as high as an elephant's eye and will be harvested doon.