Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Missouri Star tutorials >

Missouri Star tutorials

Missouri Star tutorials

Old 04-29-2014, 01:18 PM

I love her new tutorial on Bordered Squares....gotta try it soon....
Old 04-29-2014, 04:46 PM

The exploding block is the best thing to happen to quilting since the rotary cutter. I'm making one now, surrounding the blocks with HSTs and it is looking better than anything I've made from a pattern. Jenny Doan is just amazing.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by yadroc View Post
I tried this block and loved it. Told a friend to watch the video and she came up with a great idea. So I tried it. I made two identical blocks, then sewed them on all four sides right sides together. Then cut one on the diagonal (block on left). Then I did the same thing with two more blocks, but the colours were reversed (block on right).
Am getting more confused, not hard these days, can you show us the blocks and steps you did to create your wonderful version.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR View Post
OK do I have this right???? you did 2 exploding blocks, sewed the 2 blocks, right sides together and then cut them diagonally both ways and then sewed them back together....what size did they end up???very clever
Not quite right. I made two exploding blocks - sewed them right sides together - then marked ONE side with diagonal lines and cut through that block ONLY and ironed it open. Exact same process as original exploding blocks but used a pieced block instead do the plain fabric block. Finished block measures 10 1/2 inches.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Let's see if I have this right.
I think you need to make a second block from the very start with the red as the second block on top of the print. Cut the red and explode it. Then add tan and explode that. If you put that block on top of the original block (with the tan next to the print) and explode that, you will come up with the second block in your picture.

Is that correct? You need to make a reversed color block?
That is exactly what I did.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Am getting more confused, not hard these days, can you show us the blocks and steps you did to create your wonderful version.
I would be happy to do pictures if you still need them. Just give me a day or two. I have been asked to demo this at our Guild in September so I need to do step by step samples for that.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 AM

I love Jenny's tutorials, but I never see her square anything up. How on earth does she get her quilts to look so good without squaring. She uses so many precuts and we all know very often they are not true to size.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 AM

I just started the bordered quilt and found that I didn't like mixing the blues with the brown in the same block, so I'm doing all blue block and all brown block. I'm also doubling the size. We'll see, so far it looks good. I'll try to post pic when I finish.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 AM

I am doing the exploding block and find that cutting both ways diagonally the block come out really close to 6 1/4". I sewed 3 together to try and they lay very flat so maybe I won't have to worry about squaring up....we'll see
Old 05-05-2014, 05:07 AM

this is the top I started...6 blocks across and 3 rows done...doing a border and then more blocks til the size I want. all scraps and haven't even gotten into the tote in the closet yet...like the way they look see how I got 2 blocks with the same outer border together, darn!!!!
Attached Thumbnails 100_0834.jpg