Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New quilt shop resource - Alaska >

New quilt shop resource - Alaska

New quilt shop resource - Alaska

Old 11-16-2010, 02:35 PM

We have something similar at my LQS, they call it the Yard Sale. People bring in their excess fabric, measured and marked with the price. The seller gets store credit not cash when the fabric is sold. I have bought some very nice pieces for pennies on the dollar.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Originally Posted by dglvr
They have some great ideas. Wish I lived there. Anchorage is beautifal. Now I know where to go when I come visit my aunt. :thumbup:
Not sure where your Aunt lives, but if you make it to anchorage while I'm in town, I'll give you a tour of the shops
That will work for me. Have you been to the Alaska Fur Exchange?. I'm not sure of the address. She use to work there until recently. She had a stroke so won't be working anymore. I have an exchange student here until June so I'm hoping to go up sometime after that. Would love a quilt shop tour. :thumbup: Oh my aunt lives on Sentry Dr.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

What a great idea!! I haven't heard of it where I live. Have fun!! :D
Old 11-17-2010, 03:32 AM

Have you been to the Alaska Fur Exchange?. I'm not sure of the address. She use to work there until recently. She had a stroke so won't be working anymore. I have an exchange student here until June so I'm hoping to go up sometime after that. Would love a quilt shop tour. :thumbup: Oh my aunt lives on Sentry Dr.
Been to the Fur Exchange frequently - always take visitors, so probably have seen your aunt in there over time. and I'm familiar with where her street is. In my opinion, best time to visit Anchorage is late summer or early Fall (September) - you get all the beautiful flowers but no snow yet. Tourist season officially ends mid Sept so fewer crowds at that time as well. Hope to meet you when you come.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM

Have you been to the Alaska Fur Exchange?. I'm not sure of the address. She use to work there until recently. She had a stroke so won't be working anymore. I have an exchange student here until June so I'm hoping to go up sometime after that. Would love a quilt shop tour. :thumbup: Oh my aunt lives on Sentry Dr.
Been to the Fur Exchange frequently - always take visitors, so probably have seen your aunt in there over time. and I'm familiar with where her street is. In my opinion, best time to visit Anchorage is late summer or early Fall (September) - you get all the beautiful flowers but no snow yet. Tourist season officially ends mid Sept so fewer crowds at that time as well. Hope to meet you when you come.
Great. Yeah thats usually when I come up is September. The hills are beautifal and the tourist season is mostly over. Lines are much shorter. Maybe you know my aunt Vonna. She is the one that made all the dolls in the shop out of fur. She is very talented. I got one of her last dolls that she made. I'll post of a picture of it later. Can;t wait to come see all the shops. Before when I was up there I didn't sew. Saved alot of money that way :D
Old 11-17-2010, 07:08 AM

All this talk about Anchorage has made me long to come back. It has been years. I used to work at Three Sisters Fabrics - not a LQS... Quilting was not the rage at the time. DH and I enjoyed the fishing when we had time off.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
All this talk about Anchorage has made me long to come back. It has been years. I used to work at Three Sisters Fabrics - not a LQS... Quilting was not the rage at the time. DH and I enjoyed the fishing when we had time off.
Times have changed...Three Sisters was bought out by Seams Like Home which IS a quilt shop and they now are in the University mall...combining quilt and quality sewing fabric into a single store...a real treat to go into...and I do...a LOT! (Note - it was not a hostile takeover, the 3 Sis's owners decided to retire so they sold the business.)
Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 AM

Because of all this interest in Anchorage and quilting, maybe we ought to plan a real Quilter's retreat for folks that want to come in from other states....get in your quilting fix while seeing the most beautiful country in this country (IMHO!)...Hmmmm! have to talk to the shop owners about this idea when I get home.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:33 AM

Glad to hear the take-over was not hostile...

If you plan a retreat, I hope you post it on the board. I'd like to know about it.

Another time to visit might be just before the regular tourist season... We came in May one year, and saw the last of the snow on the mountains. Before we left, it was gone, and we had had a lot of fun outside.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 AM

Because of all this interest in Anchorage and quilting, maybe we ought to plan a real Quilter's retreat for folks that want to come in from other states....get in your quilting fix while seeing the most beautiful country in this country (IMHO!)...Hmmmm! have to talk to the shop owners about this idea when I get home.
Hi ktbb, here are pictures of my aunts doll she made me last year. You may recognize it from the shop. Maybe not this one but several others made like this. This is made of: fox, wolverine, otter, beaver, coyote, and a few others. She also did the taxadermy moose thats in the museum in Anchorage.
She was very talented. She signed stuff in the name of Von.
Now that she has had a stroke she is no longer able to make these beautifal items :( . I can't wait to come see her and if you do get a retreat together let me know. Would love to come for it. ;-) Oh this doll is called Mountain Man Trapper
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127704.jpe   attachment-127705.jpe