Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New use for ugly fat quarters >

New use for ugly fat quarters

New use for ugly fat quarters

Old 05-14-2023, 03:33 AM

Lightbulb New use for ugly fat quarters

When I started quilting I bought a lot of fab on-line....now I'm more selective with my choices. Those ugly fat quater bundles that at one time I thought were so pretty are still on my self. Bonnie Hunter's theory is if you think It's ugly you haven't cut it small enough.

So, found this link on line to make log cabin blocks with layer cakes....10" squares. Just need additinal 2.5" block for centers. Plan to dive into my 2.5 container for centers.
http://notesofsincerity.blogspot.com...in-blocks.html

Today will make stacks of lights and darks, press, cut 10" squares, and left overs into usable sizes. Can't remember how big the quilts is when using 42 squares. I"m just gonna sew with reckless abandon.

Another use for UFQ is to sew them together and use as backs. Depenending on size of top you may need more or less.

Above are just suggestions but they are should help me wilth my stash of uglies.

Look out Project Linus. I"m on a mission here!!!

Last edited by Julienm1; 05-14-2023 at 03:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:13 AM

Great idea. What I do from time to time is go thru my stash to see if I can thin it out including my scraps is pull and send to our local thrift shop as they are a non-profit organization. We no longer have a fabric store in my little town, only what Walmart offers and I won't go into that for variety or quality. In the past I've given them up to 8 brown paper bags of yardage including dress type fabrics as well as made up some gallon bags full of good size scraps. Great way to thin out my stash and help those less fortunate that can't buy fabric.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:30 AM

I used some really ugly half yard cuts given to me for a backing. Nothing matched or were even close to working together but somehow it isn't horribly awful together. Something about it makes me laugh every time I see the back of this quilt.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I use the Kawandi method using the sewing machine to use up a lot of unwanted fabric cut into pieces or sewn together for backing when using scraps. it's fun. And it's one of the done when the last stitch is sewn quilts. No batting is used.
Here is a video of the method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX1XAYeoO4E
Old 05-14-2023, 08:19 AM

I made a beautiful rope bowl out of some ugly fabric that I had. It turned out so good....I was amazed!
Attached Thumbnails rope-bowl-001.jpg  
Old 05-14-2023, 10:03 AM

Ah a silk purse out of a sow's ear as the saying goes. Love that bowl!! fabric or not. looks great.
Old 05-14-2023, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
Ah a silk purse out of a sow's ear as the saying goes. Love that bowl!! fabric or not. looks great.
That fabric was given to me & when I first saw it all I could see were BIG, FAT, RED LIPS and I never could get past that thought so I cut it in strips & made the bowl.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:27 AM

osewme, Love the bowl! Fabric not so much. The fabric did look like big fat lips - OMG! LOL I've made several bowls from fabrics I didn't like, but were not considered ugly, and they each turned out lovely. Thanks for the reminder as I had forgotten that.