Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: NICU gowns

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    This weekend I spent some time sewing for the preemies at Women's and Children Hospital in Lafayette. Our grand-daughter was born there last year and spent a couple of months in the NICU. You can copy the pattern and tut on my blog:
    http://fleurdelisquilts.blogspot.com/

Thanks for looking!

My weekend
    Name:  Attachment-152286.jpe
Views: 79
Size:  42.8 KB

Those look very nice. Good job.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Precious little clothes!!! :D

That is so thoughtful. I had a friend that had twins that were 2lb 3 oz and 2 lbs 7 oz. This would have been so nice for them. I think I might be copying your pattern to make some of these for the nicu. It would be a great way to use up some fabric. :) Thanks for posting this and I bookmarked you blog.

Bless you. My oldest granddaughter, Miranda, was born at 28 wks, weighing 2 lb 4.9 oz. Tiny little thing, as you well know from yours weighing the same thing. She spent 3 months in the hospital. She is a SR in high school this year. Smart as a whip and plans to go to nursing school to be an NICU nurse. I told her she will give HOPE to the parents/families of the babies in NICU. It is like a world of it's own.

Do you always use cotton or will flannel or knit fabric work as well?

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    very nice!

Blog Entries
    The clothing is gorgeous, my GGD spent a few days in NICU last spring when she was born, you should see the little tike now.

Quote Originally Posted by NannySandy
    Bless you. My oldest granddaughter, Miranda, was born at 28 wks, weighing 2 lb 4.9 oz. Tiny little thing, as you well know from yours weighing the same thing. She spent 3 months in the hospital. She is a SR in high school this year. Smart as a whip and plans to go to nursing school to be an NICU nurse. I told her she will give HOPE to the parents/families of the babies in NICU. It is like a world of it's own.
    That is amazing :) Tell her congrats on her graduation!

Adorable! I have a grandson that spent his first 8 weeks in NICU also.

These are amazing and I would love to donate some fabric to you if you tell me type of fabric you need..My daughter spent 4 months in NICU ,,,she was a preemie...1.5 pounds...now she is 20 yrs old as of Dec 28th and think you are great for doing this...

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    I always use cotton. It breathes and few babies have allergies to cotton. I also wash the gowns in Dreft and rinse a couple of times before donating them. Oh, I also place them in zipper-top bags, so they don't have to worry about any allergens. The nurses are always so happy when I deliver a few.

Our dil is due to have another in a couple of weeks. Over the weekend she told me we're past the preemie stage. That's what got me thinking of these, so I had to make a few. I figure I'll deliver them when we go for a visit.

So generous of you to do these I'm sure the parents are appreciative along with the staff!

how nice

Cute!

Oh my perfect I make things for Rainbows baby and childrens Hospital and bet they will just love these. Copied the directions THANKS for sharing. Now just have to figure out how to enlarge the pattern with my printer. being computer stupid its a challenge LOL!!!

Banned
    How nice. They are so cute.

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful gift to these preemies. You are a great person for making and donating them. Thanks for the pattern, hope to make some and deliver to our local hospital. Thank you.

My dear wife has been a NICU nurse for almost 28 years, now. These amazing people have such great hearts. Many a NICU nurse have clothed a child in their care (especially when they come into this world and have absolutely nobody to clothe them.) I have also seen these ICU angels decorate the beds and isolettes with gifts -- including making a small quilt for them to travel with.

I have sent this blog spot to my wife's email (her computer is upstairs in her office) so she can let other NICU nurses she works with and who also sew know about these patterns.

I am always in awe of these wonderful people.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
    This weekend I spent some time sewing for the preemies at Women's and Children Hospital in Lafayette. Our grand-daughter was born there last year and spent a couple of months in the NICU. You can copy the pattern and tut on my blog:
    http://fleurdelisquilts.blogspot.com/

Thanks for looking!
    Twenty years ago my son was born 9 weeks early. At 5 1/2 weeks he weighed a whooping 2 lbs 13 ozs. Thanks to our wonderful nicu here in Grand Rapids Mi he is now a sophmore in college on his way to a degree in programing. I still have the quilt that the local guild made for him and also the doll clothes that he wore during his 4 1/2 month stay. (Thank God for cabbage patch kids, their clothes came closest to fitting him). We have a program called Rocking Grandparents that I can't wait to join now that I am retired, I also hope to be able to donate clothes like the ones you make and quilts to the unit also.

Blog Entries
    (((HUGS))) Bless your heart!! :D:D:D