online classes

Old 11-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Default online classes

I have taken a couple of classes on CRAFTSY done by Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Co. The first one is Quilting Quickly and the second is QQ 2. I just want to recommend them, especially if you like using the precuts. The classes are easy to follow. Jenny is a great teacher. The classes were $29.99. I thought that was reasonable for all I got from them. I think they have a third class coming soon. If interested you can go to craftsy.com and search for quilting classes. They have one on machine quilting but it is not by Jenny. I am thinking of trying that one later. Free motion quilting is something I need help on.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM

I just looked and the classes are much more expensive now! Too bad.

Pam
Old 12-01-2011, 03:37 AM

If you already have an account check your email, I just saw mine yesterday where the classes are offered for $19.99 until December 4 and another email that offered them for $29.99 with a $10.00 giftcard for Fabric.com. I think you have to use the link the provide in the email to get the special.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:38 AM

I've bought both of Jenny's courses and the one on free-motion quilting. I've learned a lot from all! The "trick" is finding a link that takes you to the lower-price. (Mine came in e-mails from other groups.)
I was sad to learn that Jenny is NOT going to do the third course for Craftsy. She is going to offer all her expertise through YouTube. Nice to get them for free, but I really like the Craftsy format which is a much longer and more detailed video than the YouTube ones.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Jenny posted on the Q and A part of the class that she was working on part 3 of the class. She said this as an answer to a question that someone had posted. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. She is an awesome teacher. I think she is MUCH better than Eleanor Burns. Eleanor has some great methods and patterns, but her voice and the way she seems to "talk down" to her audience is irritating. I feel like she is talking to a class of 6 year olds. Her methods are great and I use her books and tape and replay her shows. I just prefer Jenny's tone and the "no nonsense" way that she does things. Whether it be the free Youtube videos or her Craftsy classes I will continue to enjoy Jenny's lessons. I think we all can relate to her simplicity and her willingness to show us how to get by without buying the templates that she sells is refreshing. I also think it is GREAT that she began helping us using free tutorials. She doesn't seem to be just out to make money. I think she genuinely loves to help her fellow quilters. Some of the class stuff was more basic than I needed in the first class but I have several things I want to try from the second. I sure hope a third class is in the making. Jenny actually said she would try to include flying geese in the third class. I am thinking that there is more to come.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the critique. I have been receiving crafty emails lately and have been tempted.