Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Photo Editing Software - FREE

  1. #1
    Senior Member nance-ell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    830
    http://gofree.com/download/Windows-S...esign/gimp.php

    My brother told me about this free photo editing software. He says it work like Photoshop. I personally don't use Photoshop, as it's way too expensive, but I have used Paint Shop Pro for years. You can't beat GIMP2 for the price :-)

    I was trying to decide how to lay out my fabric for my bargello. I took the first photo below and created the second one. (Unfortunately, I don't have enough fabric to make #2, but I was dreaming!)

    Try it. If you've ever used photo editing software, you shouldn't have any trouble.

    fabric collection
    Name:  Attachment-230980.jpe
Views: 94
Size:  31.8 KB

    bargello design-created with GIMP2
    Name:  Attachment-230981.jpe
Views: 106
Size:  94.8 KB

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow!! I am really impressed! What a great idea :D:D:D

  3. #3
    Super Member luv-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southeast Ohio
    Posts
    2,591
    I agree too...........Thank you!!!!

  4. #4
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,536
    Blog Entries
    43
    sounds great. thanks for letting us know. your 'bargello' is very nice.

  5. #5
    Super Member jlm5419's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    My Sewing Room
    Posts
    1,184
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've used Gimp for years, both the Linux and Windows versions. It's a great software for photo editing.

  6. #6
    Super Member frarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,005
    ai never heard of it. Almost bought PhotoShop a couple of times.

  7. #7
    Super Member Quiltbeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,197
    I like it but will download it directly from the source, www.gimp.org

  8. #8
    Super Member MaryAnnMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Posts
    1,661
    Wowser, that's neat. And a great quilt that will be! you are very good at choosing fabrics. Gotta work on that.

  9. #9
    Super Member MaryAnnMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Posts
    1,661
    Bah, humbug... just checked the link, won't work on Mac.

  10. #10
    Super Member Vivian Ketron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    2,998
    Fantastic!. Love the fabric color selection. Its beautiful.

  11. #11
    Senior Member pscott392's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Morristown, TN
    Posts
    667
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419
    I've used Gimp for years, both the Linux and Windows versions. It's a great software for photo editing.
    Totally agree.

  12. #12
    Junior Member happy sewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    274
    I love that bargello.

  13. #13
    Super Member grammysharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Monmouth, Oregon
    Posts
    5,841
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow, I might try it!! Thank you :D

  14. #14
    Super Member Patchworkmarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,743
    That's great. Thank you

  15. #15
    Super Member debbieoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sheffield vlg Ohio
    Posts
    2,335
    So cool NOW if I can figure out howe to use it. Being computer stupid sure could be a chore :lol:

  16. #16
    Super Member debbieoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sheffield vlg Ohio
    Posts
    2,335
    So cool NOW if I can figure out howe to use it. Being computer stupid sure could be a chore :lol:

  17. #17
    Senior Member nance-ell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieoh
    So cool NOW if I can figure out howe to use it. Being computer stupid sure could be a chore :lol:
    Awww! Did you download the program? If you do a search on Gimp tutorials, I think there are some out there, but I haven't looked at them myself, so I don't know how helpful they really are. Have fun!

  18. #18
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    How in the world did you get from photo #1 to the results in #2??! I have heard of GIMP, but always heard it has a steep learning curve. What did you think? Maybe there are more tutes now?

    Thanks so much,

  19. #19
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
    Bah, humbug... just checked the link, won't work on Mac.
    Here's Gimp for Mac:

    http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    the end ....n. y.
    Posts
    522
    Blog Entries
    2
    LOVE LOVE LOVE THE COLORS

  21. #21
    Senior Member nance-ell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    How in the world did you get from photo #1 to the results in #2??! I have heard of GIMP, but always heard it has a steep learning curve. What did you think? Maybe there are more tutes now?

    Thanks so much,
    To create the 2nd photo, I selected (select tool in the toolbox) the "strip" I wanted from photo #1. I opened a new file and made it about 3 times bigger than the original. I got a warning message because the file you are creating is so large, but it doesn't matter. You do have to save as a jpeg and resize before you can post on the forum, send in an email, etc. But a large image is easier to see while you're working and most of us have the space on our hard drive.

    On photo 1 with the strip selected, I hit edit/copy. Then I moved to the 2nd new photo and hit edit/paste as new layer. Change to the move tool on the toolbox and move the strip to where you want it. Hit edit/paste as new layer again. Toolbox is still on move, so move that strip where you want it. To rotate, save the strip in an image by itself and on that image, hit image/transform/rotate 180 degrees. Then copy and paste that strip as a new layer for the lower portion. Since you're pasting as layers, you can overlay and you'll only see the layer that's on top.

    You can do this as many times as you need to achieve the look you want. Then merge the layers, save as jpeg and resize if you want. This is a little time consuming, but it was worth it to me to do this before I started cutting my fabric. If I wasn't going to like these fabrics in a bargello, I didn't want to cut it for that.

    The learning curve for GIMP is no different than Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. If you've used either, GIMP is very similar. I downloaded GIMP and made that bargello pic the same day because I have done the same in Paint Shop Pro for years.

  22. #22
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by nance-ell
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    How in the world did you get from photo #1 to the results in #2??! I have heard of GIMP, but always heard it has a steep learning curve. What did you think? Maybe there are more tutes now?

    Thanks so much,
    To create the 2nd photo, I selected (select tool in the toolbox) the "strip" I wanted from photo #1. I opened a new file and made it about 3 times bigger than the original. I got a warning message because the file you are creating is so large, but it doesn't matter. You do have to save as a jpeg and resize before you can post on the forum, send in an email, etc. But a large image is easier to see while you're working and most of us have the space on our hard drive.

    On photo 1 with the strip selected, I hit edit/copy. Then I moved to the 2nd new photo and hit edit/paste as new layer. Change to the move tool on the toolbox and move the strip to where you want it. Hit edit/paste as new layer again. Toolbox is still on move, so move that strip where you want it. To rotate, save the strip in an image by itself and on that image, hit image/transform/rotate 180 degrees. Then copy and paste that strip as a new layer for the lower portion. Since you're pasting as layers, you can overlay and you'll only see the layer that's on top.

    You can do this as many times as you need to achieve the look you want. Then merge the layers, save as jpeg and resize if you want. This is a little time consuming, but it was worth it to me to do this before I started cutting my fabric. If I wasn't going to like these fabrics in a bargello, I didn't want to cut it for that.

    The learning curve for GIMP is no different than Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. If you've used either, GIMP is very similar. I downloaded GIMP and made that bargello pic the same day because I have done the same in Paint Shop Pro for years.
    Thank you SO much for taking the time to explain the process to me, step-by-step. I really appreciate that. I have Photoshop, but still don't know my way around it very well. Your directions will help me. :thumbup:

    I did notice, when looking up the GIMP program, there is a separate GIMPshop program out there that is like GIMP but is made to look and act like Photoshop for folks that are used to PSE and don't want to be confused. Here's the link for it:

    http://www.gimpshop.com/

    Thanks again,

  23. #23
    Senior Member cdmmiracles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieoh
    So cool NOW if I can figure out howe to use it. Being computer stupid sure could be a chore :lol:
    I'm right there with ya, lol. I downloaded it, but can't figure how to make the graph type photo to look like the bargello pattern

  24. #24
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,975
    that looks great are you going to make the quilt?

  25. #25
    Super Member Carron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    desert area of California
    Posts
    2,267
    Thanks. nice quilt you want to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.