Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Photo Editing Software - FREE

http://gofree.com/download/Windows-S...esign/gimp.php

My brother told me about this free photo editing software. He says it work like Photoshop. I personally don't use Photoshop, as it's way too expensive, but I have used Paint Shop Pro for years. You can't beat GIMP2 for the price :-)

I was trying to decide how to lay out my fabric for my bargello. I took the first photo below and created the second one. (Unfortunately, I don't have enough fabric to make #2, but I was dreaming!)

Try it. If you've ever used photo editing software, you shouldn't have any trouble.

fabric collection
    Name:  Attachment-230980.jpe
Views: 94
Size:  31.8 KB

bargello design-created with GIMP2
    Name:  Attachment-230981.jpe
Views: 106
Size:  94.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Wow!! I am really impressed! What a great idea :D:D:D

I agree too...........Thank you!!!!

Blog Entries
    sounds great. thanks for letting us know. your 'bargello' is very nice.

Blog Entries
    I've used Gimp for years, both the Linux and Windows versions. It's a great software for photo editing.

ai never heard of it. Almost bought PhotoShop a couple of times.

I like it but will download it directly from the source, www.gimp.org

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Wowser, that's neat. And a great quilt that will be! you are very good at choosing fabrics. Gotta work on that.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Bah, humbug... just checked the link, won't work on Mac.

Fantastic!. Love the fabric color selection. Its beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419
    I've used Gimp for years, both the Linux and Windows versions. It's a great software for photo editing.
    Totally agree.

I love that bargello.

Blog Entries
    Wow, I might try it!! Thank you :D

That's great. Thank you

So cool NOW if I can figure out howe to use it. Being computer stupid sure could be a chore :lol:

So cool NOW if I can figure out howe to use it. Being computer stupid sure could be a chore :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by debbieoh
    Awww! Did you download the program? If you do a search on Gimp tutorials, I think there are some out there, but I haven't looked at them myself, so I don't know how helpful they really are. Have fun!

How in the world did you get from photo #1 to the results in #2??! I have heard of GIMP, but always heard it has a steep learning curve. What did you think? Maybe there are more tutes now?

Thanks so much,

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
    Bah, humbug... just checked the link, won't work on Mac.
    Here's Gimp for Mac:

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Blog Entries
    LOVE LOVE LOVE THE COLORS

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    How in the world did you get from photo #1 to the results in #2??! I have heard of GIMP, but always heard it has a steep learning curve. What did you think? Maybe there are more tutes now?

Thanks so much,
    To create the 2nd photo, I selected (select tool in the toolbox) the "strip" I wanted from photo #1. I opened a new file and made it about 3 times bigger than the original. I got a warning message because the file you are creating is so large, but it doesn't matter. You do have to save as a jpeg and resize before you can post on the forum, send in an email, etc. But a large image is easier to see while you're working and most of us have the space on our hard drive.

On photo 1 with the strip selected, I hit edit/copy. Then I moved to the 2nd new photo and hit edit/paste as new layer. Change to the move tool on the toolbox and move the strip to where you want it. Hit edit/paste as new layer again. Toolbox is still on move, so move that strip where you want it. To rotate, save the strip in an image by itself and on that image, hit image/transform/rotate 180 degrees. Then copy and paste that strip as a new layer for the lower portion. Since you're pasting as layers, you can overlay and you'll only see the layer that's on top.

You can do this as many times as you need to achieve the look you want. Then merge the layers, save as jpeg and resize if you want. This is a little time consuming, but it was worth it to me to do this before I started cutting my fabric. If I wasn't going to like these fabrics in a bargello, I didn't want to cut it for that.

The learning curve for GIMP is no different than Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. If you've used either, GIMP is very similar. I downloaded GIMP and made that bargello pic the same day because I have done the same in Paint Shop Pro for years.

Quote Originally Posted by nance-ell
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

Thanks so much,
    To create the 2nd photo, I selected (select tool in the toolbox) the "strip" I wanted from photo #1. I opened a new file and made it about 3 times bigger than the original. I got a warning message because the file you are creating is so large, but it doesn't matter. You do have to save as a jpeg and resize before you can post on the forum, send in an email, etc. But a large image is easier to see while you're working and most of us have the space on our hard drive.

On photo 1 with the strip selected, I hit edit/copy. Then I moved to the 2nd new photo and hit edit/paste as new layer. Change to the move tool on the toolbox and move the strip to where you want it. Hit edit/paste as new layer again. Toolbox is still on move, so move that strip where you want it. To rotate, save the strip in an image by itself and on that image, hit image/transform/rotate 180 degrees. Then copy and paste that strip as a new layer for the lower portion. Since you're pasting as layers, you can overlay and you'll only see the layer that's on top.

You can do this as many times as you need to achieve the look you want. Then merge the layers, save as jpeg and resize if you want. This is a little time consuming, but it was worth it to me to do this before I started cutting my fabric. If I wasn't going to like these fabrics in a bargello, I didn't want to cut it for that.

The learning curve for GIMP is no different than Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. If you've used either, GIMP is very similar. I downloaded GIMP and made that bargello pic the same day because I have done the same in Paint Shop Pro for years.
    Thank you SO much for taking the time to explain the process to me, step-by-step. I really appreciate that. I have Photoshop, but still don't know my way around it very well. Your directions will help me. :thumbup:

I did notice, when looking up the GIMP program, there is a separate GIMPshop program out there that is like GIMP but is made to look and act like Photoshop for folks that are used to PSE and don't want to be confused. Here's the link for it:

http://www.gimpshop.com/

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by debbieoh
    I'm right there with ya, lol. I downloaded it, but can't figure how to make the graph type photo to look like the bargello pattern

that looks great are you going to make the quilt?

Thanks. nice quilt you want to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast