Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/2013-bonnie-hunter-mystery-celtic-solstice-t233227.html)

Tweety2911 12-08-2013 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some of my step 2. Had to do some ripping because I always manage to make a mistake on opposites...must be dyslexic:o, my yellows are brighter than they appear.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450872[/ATTACH]

Quiltaddiction 12-08-2013 05:50 PM

I had to wait for the Tri Rec to come and started cutting yesterday I have sewn around 60 units and they are coming out really well. I've read clue2, 600 pieces holy moly ! I am working fulltime so can only really get anything done on the weekend around house work. I think the chevrons will need some practice.

Podunk Princess 12-08-2013 05:56 PM

I'm way behind.....just finished cutting out Clue 1 pieces last night. All my fabrics for Clue 2 are on the ironing board waiting to be starched so I can start cutting them. Hope to do some actual sewing tomorrow now that work is done for the weekend. This winter storm has really set me back several days!

Nilla 12-08-2013 06:14 PM

I sewed most of the day today and still don't have them all done, but I should finish tomorrow. That's a lot of cutting, sewing, cutting, pressing etc.

Pagzz 12-08-2013 06:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I changed colors. I am using purple where Bonnie is using blue, brown where she is using orange, and turquoise where she is using yellow. I am trying to use up stash and these colors along with green seemed to work best.

I have finished step one and cut 2/3 of step two. I hope to start sewing step two tomorrow.

As I chose colors I thought if Bonnie puts blue with the orange then I will have brown with the purple and I might not have good contrast, but I think it worked okay.[ATTACH=CONFIG]450889[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]450890[/ATTACH]

QuiltedCello 12-08-2013 07:18 PM

Well, all my small and large clue 2 are done!

But, erm, it was an icky, yucky, snowy day. And the bright colors I have for a sweet little girl just kept tempting me. But, I'm cheating. I'm making half as many small blocks at 1.5 times the size. They turn out so pretty in lavenders and pink, it looks like I've got tulips and iris all over. I'm using a lovely natural linen for my neutral, with cheery spring green, aqua, a few lavenders and a bright, happy pink. I need to get my green and neutral clue 1 done, but that can be my five minute wait hand sewing work.

Inklingo is going to be a budget hazard I fear in winter when I'm perfectly happy curled up and sewing away for hours. It just goes so fast, and no excessive waste.

Emma S 12-08-2013 08:14 PM

Jeanin's post got me to thinking, since I was having some problems getting a 3.5 inch square on clue #2. I tried the following method and it worked for me, plus it goes much faster.
1. Cut the green strips 1.5 inches and the other two colors 2 inches using the entire width of the fabric.
2. Sew all three strips together. You should have approx. 40 inch strips.
3. Using the 45 degree mark on your ruler line up one set with the ruler tilted to the left and cut in two inch increments. Then do the same with the ruler tilted right. This will give you the right and left chevron.
4. Trim the two inch strips to 3.5 by 2 inch.
5. Sew the left and the right together. You should have a 3.5 X 3.5 block.
This really worked for me. Not only was it faster but the end result came out great. Thank you Jeanin for the suggestion.

RainydayQuilter 12-08-2013 08:43 PM

I've got everything cut out for both steps 1 & 2, and all of the squares marked for step 2. King size. Have not sewed anything yet. I was planning on sewing step 2 first, then going back and sewing step one because I thought step 2 would be the easier for me to sew and achieve a 3.5" square, but after reading your comments I'm beginning to wonder. I may sew one of each tomorrow evening and then decide which to sew first.

nellie 12-08-2013 09:56 PM

Emma you think you can do a little tutorial, I,m one that have,s to see in order to see how to do things,sorry Emma for such trouble

jeaninmaine 12-09-2013 04:28 AM

Emma S, if they sew the strip sets, then press one set's seams towards the outside strips and a second set's seams towards the middle one, then cut them. I think they'd sew together nicely. pressing the seams open would work too. Sorry for all the editing, I have trouble putting what I see in my head down so that it sounds logical.