Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Kaffe Fasset & Westminister, Free Spirit Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/kaffe-fasset-westminister-free-spirit-fabrics-t294741.html)

Patchworkbarb 02-12-2018 11:57 AM

Kaffe Fasset & Westminister, Free Spirit Fabrics

This just came across my feed on Facebook. So sad. What now?

Dear Friends, We have just gotten news that Westminster will be closing down the fabric business. Their exact words are, "We will not be producing new Westminster or FreeSpirit Fabrics from today onwards". Come May 2018, the company we started over 20 years ago will be no longer. We feel confident that the Kaffe Collective is a viable fabric line and that another company will want to acquire us. So stay tuned. We wanted you to hear this from us first."

meyert 02-12-2018 12:01 PM

OMG!!! disappointing

cashs_mom 02-12-2018 12:21 PM

Oh, that's sad. I hope someone else does pick them up. I do understand though. Kaffe is getting older and if he's the driving force behind the fabric line, he may just not be willing (or able) to do it anymore

Patchworkbarb 02-12-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8002108)
Oh, that's sad. I hope someone else does pick them up. I do understand though. Kaffe is getting older and if he's the driving force behind the fabric line, he may just not be willing (or able) to do it anymore

its Free Spirit Fabrics, Tula Punk, Tim Holts, Amy Butler, plus a bunch of other designers. All fabrics manufacturer by Westminister.

cashs_mom 02-12-2018 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Patchworkbarb (Post 8002117)
its Free Spirit Fabrics, Tula Punk, Tim Holts, Amy Butler, plus a bunch of other designers. All fabrics manufacturer by Westminister.

If they are profitable lines and the designers want to continue, I'm sure they will find other manufacturer's to pick up their fabrics.

rryder 02-12-2018 01:15 PM

Wow! That's a lot of really good designers looking for new homes. I wonder what happened?

Rob

sewbizgirl 02-12-2018 02:09 PM

Terrible. Why wouldn't they sell the company rather than close down? Seems so abrupt. Free Spirit was one of my favorites.

The Kaffe lines have been reprinted and reprinted... same with some of Amy Butler. They are the only ones I know of that you still see the same fabric in the stores from years ago. I think longer than two years is a mistake. As beautiful as they are, I'm tired of them.

I hope their well known and successful designers will be picked up quickly by other companies.

Tothill 02-12-2018 02:16 PM

I just heard this too. I am so saddened by the news. I had signed up for the Faffe BOM and was looking forward to it. I love Tula Pink's fabrics and know how hard she has been promoting her lines.

A friend who has an online shop just put in a sizable order, now she will not be able to reorder.

A sad day for quilting.

pewa88 02-12-2018 04:52 PM

Wow, I love their fabric. The quality is superb.

QuiltE 02-12-2018 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8002125)
If they are profitable lines and the designers want to continue, I'm sure they will find other manufacturer's to pick up their fabrics.

Totally agree!!!

................... watch the pandemonium and fabric hoarding start, with the uncertainty!