Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Odd Creative Grids Ruler I Really Like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/odd-creative-grids-ruler-i-really-like-t285930.html)

Alice PD 02-09-2017 03:59 AM

Odd Creative Grids Ruler I Really Like

Some time ago, I got the Creative Grids Yard Stick Ruler. I questioned whether this was a good idea or just an impulse buy (I really like the Creative Grids Rulers) Anyway, it turns out, I have used it over and over. It is much straighter than my old wooden yard sticks. It was a pleasant surprise seeing how often it has turned out to be just the right tool.

Mitty 02-10-2017 03:37 AM

I hadn't seen that one before. Sometimes the 24" isn't long enough and I can see that this might be handy.

Sandygirl 02-10-2017 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty (Post 7761124)
I hadn't seen that one before. Sometimes the 24" isn't long enough and I can see that this might be handy.

Your fav quilt shop can order one for you. It is 2 1/2" wide too!
sandy

Geri B 02-10-2017 07:10 AM

What do you do with a yardstick? Cutting that long a piece of fabric with only 2 1/2" width for fingers and stability?

JanieH 02-10-2017 09:34 AM

Interesting! Sometimes I have needed a ruler longer than 24" and used a yardstick but so many times the measurements on yardsticks are not as accurate as on our quilting rulers.

Onebyone 02-10-2017 12:52 PM

It is perfect to mark grid lines on a quilt top for quilting. I use the 6ft long 2 1/2 straight edge sold at Lowe's for $12. It's metal and will last forever. All of my quilting is straight line grid work. I also bought the 4ft one too. I use them all the time.

Alice PD 02-10-2017 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7761282)
What do you do with a yardstick? Cutting that long a piece of fabric with only 2 1/2" width for fingers and stability?

Never have had a problem with either fingers or stability. Because of the no-slip edge, nothing moves once I apply pressure and walk my fingers along the ruler. Most recently, I cut bias strips and it was a breeze. Measuring batting, straightening up quilt before binding, etc. I just keep getting surprised each time I reach for it.

so2sew 02-10-2017 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Alice PD (Post 7760340)
Some time ago, I got the Creative Grids Yard Stick Ruler. I questioned whether this was a good idea or just an impulse buy (I really like the Creative Grids Rulers) Anyway, it turns out, I have used it over and over. It is much straighter than my old wooden yard sticks. It was a pleasant surprise seeing how often it has turned out to be just the right tool.

I too like this ruler. It's great for squaring your quilt without having to move the 24" ruler along a long edge.

lots2do 02-10-2017 05:35 PM

Onebyone, what do you use to mark your grids?

QuiltnLady1 02-10-2017 06:01 PM

I'm not Onebyone, but I use the blue painters tape to lay out my grids.