Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   power cutting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/power-cutting-t277339.html)

callen 04-03-2016 07:41 AM

Excellent presenter & good information. I cannot see me doing 16 layers though.

PaperPrincess 04-03-2016 08:19 AM

I have seen this technique before. She give good info on folding the fabric on grain, not using the cutting mat grid and proper rotary cutter technique. I also like how she reminded everyone not to move the ruler until you are sure the cut is correct. I must be doing something wrong, however, because I always have problems with the double fold. I use creative grids 8.5" X 24" ruler, which doesn't slip. If I'm cutting narrow strips, I use 2 rulers. A 12.5" square up ruler on the fold to maintain a 90 degree, then the long ruler to cut against. Actually, my most accurate cuts are with my Accucut Studio, but I don't have a die for every strip size!
even with the Studio cutter, however, I never cut that many layers. One miscut and you have ruined a whole buncha fabric.

ladydukes 04-03-2016 08:32 AM

GREAT video, and I learned things I didn't know! I shared this video with all of my 'quilting' contacts!

angelmama22 04-03-2016 10:50 AM

I'm a scaredy-cat to cut more than two layers at a time. I've had too many things shift a smidge when cutting many layers. I'll take my time and do it at a snail's pace. LOL

misseva 04-03-2016 03:18 PM

Great info. Thanks for posting.

duckydo 04-03-2016 04:23 PM

Our local fabric store has two terrific sales 2x a year and the lady that cuts our fabric similar to this and it really goes fast. I am gonna give this power cutting a try, looks interesting.

Grandma Mary 04-03-2016 04:55 PM

Nancy, the woman in this video was the teacher in my very first quilt class ever...five years ago. My sister who has been a quilter for more than 40 years couldn't believe what I was learning, and was amazed at my first project. She is an excellent teacher, with very good lessons from the very first basic skills all the way to winning show techniques. This video was a talk she gave at one of our quilt shows.

She and a group of people from our guild have started this YouTube channel called ON POINT, and I definitely recommend taking a peek at their lessons! They are also now showing on our local channels. Also if you're interested, they have a Facebook page by the same name.

roserips 04-03-2016 06:24 PM

Yes I have been cutting similar to that for years, since I would rather spend my time sewing than cutting.

ctrysass2012 04-03-2016 08:30 PM

Thanks for posting this. I'm not sure I would be doing 16 layers but would like to try this out. Now I understand my wonky strips when I tried folding fabric 2x.

coopah 04-04-2016 04:27 AM

I'm surprised she gets decent cuts considering the shape her mat is in. Glad it works for her.