Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   power cutting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/power-cutting-t277339.html)

zennia 04-04-2016 04:38 AM

Thank You. Learned a lot. Hopefully my cutting will improve

mary705 04-04-2016 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by coopah (Post 7514010)
I'm surprised she gets decent cuts considering the shape her mat is in. Glad it works for her.

I was thinking the same with the warped mat, that would drive me nuts.

fayeberry 04-04-2016 08:59 AM

That was a good video, excellent presentation. I would never dare try cutting so many layers at once, but will try the technique on a single piece of fabric. Cutting straight strips is the worst part of quilting for me.

QuiltnLady1 04-04-2016 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7512740)
I use a similar system with my June Tailor Shape Cut but not that many layers.

Interesting tutorial -- the sharp blade is important, but I use the lines on my cutting mat to make sure my folds are straight (her's looked a bit wobbly at the top). I agree quiltsRfun -- I use a similar system with the Shape Cut, but I don't have to rotate the fabric since I can cut from either side.

MargeD 04-04-2016 11:55 AM

I've used t his method for a few years, although I didn't realize it was called power cutting. I don't remember the quilt teacher that mentioned this type of cutting, but she did the same, if you need the same size strips, cut as the woman did in the video. I have found that it indeed makes for straighter cuts, more quickly, which comes in handy when I am making quilted items for sale, like table runners, placemats, etc. Thanks for sharing the tutorial, as it refreshed my aging memory.

Annaquilts 04-04-2016 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7512740)
I use a similar system with my June Tailor Shape Cut but not that many layers.

Yes this. I prefer not to cut more then 6 layers at a time. Also I have no need for that many of the same cuts. If I wanted to cut that many layers and of the same cuts I would use my die cutter. Does she ever open up the strips to show how accurate they are?

MarleneC 04-04-2016 12:38 PM

I liked the video--I fold my fabric the same way and I knew about the power cutting--just haven't done it. Sort of like using the June Taylor cutting mat. It would save me from doing the straight edge and cutting a couple strips and then redoing the straight edge again. Waste of time and fabric doing it my way.

audsgirl 04-04-2016 01:06 PM

Yes, I use a lot of the same methods and tips that she used, but I would never cut so many layers at once. I don't like using the lines on the mat for anything. My problem is no matter what I put on the bottom of the ruler, I always seem to move my hand that's holding it down. For doing multiple strips now, I use my Stripology ruler by Creative Grids. The first time I had seen this method was on Simply Quilts and it was taught by Debbie Caffrey, who was mentioned in the video.

Leslie

Misty's Mom 04-04-2016 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by coopah (Post 7514010)
I'm surprised she gets decent cuts considering the shape her mat is in. Glad it works for her.

glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Grandma Mary 04-04-2016 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7514524)
Yes this. I prefer not to cut more then 6 layers at a time. Also I have no need for that many of the same cuts. If I wanted to cut that many layers and of the same cuts I would use my die cutter. Does she ever open up the strips to show how accurate they are?

She doesn't in this video, but I've seen her do it in my class.