Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Quiltaholics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/quiltaholics-t280007.html)

Ada Shiela 06-28-2016 04:44 PM

Quiltaholics

There was an interesting article in yesterday's TQS newsletter about quilters hoarding our stashes; they say we're "addicted to quilting, knitting and crochet" so now we're out in the open LOL!

orangeroom 06-28-2016 05:10 PM

Hi. My name is Orangeroom and I'm addicted to fabric.

Quiltaddict 06-28-2016 05:48 PM

Considering how expensive fabric has gotten I am definitely hanging on to all my fabric, much of which I got at lower prices.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 06-28-2016 11:31 PM

Good thing they don't seem to know about rulers, gadgets, patterns, threads and all the stabilizers and interfacings. Wonder what they would say then? My take on it is every hobbyist, for example paper crafters, has a selection of tools and supplies to make their hobby enjoyable.

Jane Quilter 06-29-2016 12:12 AM

My name is Jane and I am Addicted to quilting.

marybs 06-29-2016 03:37 AM

Sure hope they never find a cure for it!

ManiacQuilter2 06-29-2016 03:59 AM

I hope they don't find a cure for it either. I am JJ and I AM a Quiltaholic!! :)

Kimcatlou 06-29-2016 04:20 AM

Oh yes, I am a fabric and quilt-a holic. When my husband and I moved to a retirement home a few years ago due to his health problems, I told my children that I was not going unless I had room for all my fabric. So we found a cottage with lots of closet space. Things were fine until family members were helping us pack up to move. They constantly referred to "downsizing." Then one day I looked out and saw 3 big black garbage bags beside our garbage bin. I first ignored them, but then decided to investigate their contents. Thank goodness I did look inside the bags. They were full of sewing supplies, which I promptly rescued! To this day no one has admitted to trying to throw these things away!

bearisgray 06-29-2016 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou (Post 7589418)
Oh yes, I am a fabric and quilt-a holic. When my husband and I moved to a retirement home a few years ago due to his health problems, I told my children that I was not going unless I had room for all my fabric. So we found a cottage with lots of closet space. Things were fine until family members were helping us pack up to move. They constantly referred to "downsizing." Then one day I looked out and saw 3 big black garbage bags beside our garbage bin. I first ignored them, but then decided to investigate their contents. Thank goodness I did look inside the bags. They were full of sewing supplies, which I promptly rescued! To this day no one has admitted to trying to throw these things away!

If you knew the culprits, would they be disinherited (from what they might have wanted)?

One of my sons has said to me "You are old - what are you going to do with all that - and more importantly, what are we kids going to do with all that when you are gone?"

Frankly, my dears, I don't give a ______.

Shelbie 06-29-2016 05:43 AM

I do not understand why some families think that sewing supplies belong in the garbage. Even if the quilter is no longer able to use them, family members need to realize that the contents of a sewing room are valuable, cost a lot of money and there are other quilters and community quilt groups who would put these things to very good use. Maybe as quilters, we don't do a good job of letting others know exactly how valuable our quilts, machines, fabric etc. is really worth. I know my son thinks the content of my quilting room isn't very important but he does know that it has a fairly high $ value and money is important to him so I doubt that my stuff will end up in the trash some day.