Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Rotary / Ruler Cutting guard (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/rotary-ruler-cutting-guard-t33536.html)

Quiltgranny 01-18-2010 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts

And the really neat thing about them, is you can cut-to-fit for a ruler that you may want a guard on.

Gee, I didn't know that. How do you do that? With what tool?

Thanks,

yourstrulyquilts 01-19-2010 08:49 AM

I used my DH hacksaw. I'm sure there are other kinds of saws that you could use, tho.

Quiltgranny 01-19-2010 08:59 AM

I used my DH hacksaw. I'm sure there are other kinds of saws that you could use, tho.

Thank you kindly. I'm guessing you maybe sanded the rough edges down?

yourstrulyquilts 01-19-2010 09:10 AM

I didn't notice any rough edges, but you could sand them with no problem. I have several smaller pieces that I cut off of a 22", just waiting for a ruler that it will fit.
AND, while we are on the subject of rulers guards; if yours should happen to come off (and they do occasionally, from being dropped, or the Kid gets hold of it, lol), You can use doubled sided Scotch tape to put it back on with. Just clean up the ruler and guard, take any gunk off, and put the tape on the guard and press onto the ruler. I've only had a couple in my life that I had to fix (I worked in a quilt shop so handled a lot of rulers). The double sided tape works every bit as good as the tape the guard comes with.
Happy Quilting Trails to you!

Quiltgranny 01-19-2010 04:18 PM

I didn't notice any rough edges, but you could sand them with no problem. I have several smaller pieces that I cut off of a 22", just waiting for a ruler that it will fit.
AND, while we are on the subject of rulers guards; if yours should happen to come off (and they do occasionally, from being dropped, or the Kid gets hold of it, lol), You can use doubled sided Scotch tape to put it back on with. Just clean up the ruler and guard, take any gunk off, and put the tape on the guard and press onto the ruler. I've only had a couple in my life that I had to fix (I worked in a quilt shop so handled a lot of rulers). The double sided tape works every bit as good as the tape the guard comes with.
Happy Quilting Trails to you!

That's amazing!! I would not have thought the double sided tape would be that strong. How 'bout that?! :thumbup: Thanks so much for letting me know. Much appreciated.

I had to chuckle, as the quilt I'm working on at the moment is called "Happy Trails", lol. :lol:

yourstrulyquilts 01-19-2010 04:36 PM

that's really cool! I used to live in Canyon City Colorado. You anywhere close?

Quiltgranny 01-19-2010 07:07 PM

that's really cool! I used to live in Canyon City Colorado. You anywhere close?

Over the mountains near Woodland Park. Ring any bells for ya? Too hot down that a way for us. Love it here at 9200' - well, except for them darn bears and mountain lions. They just take all the fun out of a nice evening walk. Know what I mean?

yourstrulyquilts 01-19-2010 07:29 PM

Yeah it was hot there! But......no bears or lions. I liked it there a lot. You must get a ton of snow at 92oo'! What fun. Well, maybe fun, unless you're stuck in it.

Quiltgranny 01-19-2010 07:38 PM

Yeah it was hot there! But......no bears or lions. I liked it there a lot. You must get a ton of snow at 92oo'! What fun. Well, maybe fun, unless you're stuck in it.

Not as much snow as you might think. Oh, one year it didn't all melt til nearly May, but that was unusual. We're kind of in a funny spot here, and don't get as much as one might expect. The COLD we do get plenty of!

yourstrulyquilts 01-19-2010 07:39 PM

I guess I can say "Cool" to that one!