Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Putting batting strips together, new product!

  1. #1
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    This is one of the why didn't I think of that? I think it's a great money saver.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwgsq...layer_embedded

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks awesome link

  3. #3
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,889
    Neat. Have to look for it.

  4. #4
    Super Member belmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,874
    Thankyou.... Now that is somthing we all could do to save those smaller pieces. I usually butt mine up together and zig-zag stitch them together, but I like this idea better.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Shelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wilbur, WA
    Posts
    762
    Here's something even easier (and probably cheaper!) Use a lightweight fusable interfacing, cut into strips, and use that to piece your bindings. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.

  6. #6
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    I did see that or something similar a few weeks ago. I think it was around $9 per roll.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Here's something even easier (and probably cheaper!) Use a lightweight fusable interfacing, cut into strips, and use that to piece your bindings. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.
    Shelley, how does this hold up in the wash? I've been tempted to try it, but was afraid it would curl up around the edges if the quilting wasn't really close together.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,306
    Cool!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Shelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wilbur, WA
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I did see that or something similar a few weeks ago. I think it was around $9 per roll.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Here's something even easier (and probably cheaper!) Use a lightweight fusable interfacing, cut into strips, and use that to piece your bindings. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.
    Shelley, how does this hold up in the wash? I've been tempted to try it, but was afraid it would curl up around the edges if the quilting wasn't really close together.
    Once it's quilted, it's not going anywhere.

  9. #9
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I did see that or something similar a few weeks ago. I think it was around $9 per roll.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Here's something even easier (and probably cheaper!) Use a lightweight fusable interfacing, cut into strips, and use that to piece your bindings. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.
    Shelley, how does this hold up in the wash? I've been tempted to try it, but was afraid it would curl up around the edges if the quilting wasn't really close together.
    Once it's quilted, it's not going anywhere.
    That's good to know, I think I'll try it. It will be less expensive than the tape. Do you just apply the interfacing to one side of the batting?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Shelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wilbur, WA
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I did see that or something similar a few weeks ago. I think it was around $9 per roll.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Here's something even easier (and probably cheaper!) Use a lightweight fusable interfacing, cut into strips, and use that to piece your bindings. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.
    Shelley, how does this hold up in the wash? I've been tempted to try it, but was afraid it would curl up around the edges if the quilting wasn't really close together.
    Once it's quilted, it's not going anywhere.
    That's good to know, I think I'll try it. It will be less expensive than the tape. Do you just apply the interfacing to one side of the batting?
    Yep. All you are trying to do is hold it together until the quilt is quilted. The only time this MIGHT not work real well is if 1) you hand quilt-it might be a little harder to quilt through the tape, maybe. 2) quilt very little. I see that some of you just stitch-in-the-ditch or quilt fairly sparsely. For my quilts, I would want this to be well quilted over in order for it to really hold. Opinion only....

  11. #11
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    Thanks!

  12. #12
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks Shelley. I'll try it!

  13. #13
    Member User886077's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Bern, NC
    Posts
    38
    $9 a roll seems a little pricey! I think I will try the fusible interfacing. Thanks Shelley. Always trying to be "green" in using my materials.

    Carol

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    it is a brilliant idea, and i know people will buy it.

    but i have always sewn my batting together using a "SITD" foot, and a zig zag stitch. i don't overlap it. it never has a "bump" in it. i hated wasting batting!

  15. #15
    Member twogeebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    58
    I've always zig zagged my batting together also, without overlaping. I hand quilt and this seems to work for me. :-D

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colden, NY
    Posts
    330
    HAS ANYONE USED IT? I WONDER IF IT'S WORTH THE MONEY.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    do you have a stitch in the ditch foot? it has the metal bar in the center of the foot..at least that is what i use..although not required..
    you just butt both pieces of batting up against both sides of the bar, and use a zig zag stitch to join them.

  18. #18
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Thanks for sharing that video link - cool product

  19. #19
    Super Member dyer804's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    1,787
    Several good ideas! Thanks for sharing. Does anyone have a problem with polyester batting melting when ironed?

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Macon, Ga
    Posts
    273
    Batting can be pieced by laying the two strips side by side overlapping the edges. Cut through both layers, which will make the edges of both pieces match. Then at the sewing machine butt the two pieces and sew with a wide zig-zag stitch. I have used this method time after time and it works fine.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Here's something even easier (and probably cheaper!) Use a lightweight fusable interfacing, cut into strips, and use that to piece your bindings. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.
    Shelley -I have used the fusable interfacing for several years also. Have not had any problem with it even with the 3 and 5 year old grandchildren playing tug of war with a quilt that I had used the interfacing to join the bat.
    That quilt has been washed at least 4 times and you can not tell that the batting was pieced.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    345
    It's good to know that other quilters save batting by sewing it or taping it together, I thought I was really being a tight wad...I haven't tried the tape, but zig zagging it has always worked for me...

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt queen
    It's good to know that other quilters save batting by sewing it or taping it together, I thought I was really being a tight wad...I haven't tried the tape, but zig zagging it has always worked for me...
    Tight wad?! no way girl! i save the pieces for pot holders, quilt as you go projects,baby quilts. i have also given them to someone here ont he board for stuffing dolls. (the ones that are really small)
    my scraps of fabris are all cut into squares too! no waste here!

    :thumbup:

  24. #24
    community benefactor
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Murphy TX
    Posts
    149
    Take a look at one of the other videos attached to this link called Quick Quilt by Stash Quilting. I hadn't seen this before, but it could sure help you finish a quilt.
    Susan

  25. #25
    Super Member Ms Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,842
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Here's something even easier (and probably cheaper!) Use a lightweight fusable interfacing, cut into strips, and use that to piece your bindings. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.

    This is what I've done for about the last year.
    It works great! :thumbup:

    I think I had bought about 2 yards last year, and cut them into 1" strips, put them all in a ziplock bag. They are ready when I need them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.