Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Putting batting strips together, new product!

Blog Entries
    This is one of the why didn't I think of that? I think it's a great money saver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwgsq...layer_embedded

Blog Entries
    thanks awesome link

Neat. Have to look for it.

Thankyou.... Now that is somthing we all could do to save those smaller pieces. I usually butt mine up together and zig-zag stitch them together, but I like this idea better.

Here's something even easier (and probably cheaper!) Use a lightweight fusable interfacing, cut into strips, and use that to piece your bindings. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.

Blog Entries
    I did see that or something similar a few weeks ago. I think it was around $9 per roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Here's something even easier (and probably cheaper!) Use a lightweight fusable interfacing, cut into strips, and use that to piece your bindings. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.
    Shelley, how does this hold up in the wash? I've been tempted to try it, but was afraid it would curl up around the edges if the quilting wasn't really close together.

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I did see that or something similar a few weeks ago. I think it was around $9 per roll.

Shelley, how does this hold up in the wash? I've been tempted to try it, but was afraid it would curl up around the edges if the quilting wasn't really close together.
    Once it's quilted, it's not going anywhere.

Blog Entries

That's good to know, I think I'll try it. It will be less expensive than the tape. Do you just apply the interfacing to one side of the batting?

That's good to know, I think I'll try it. It will be less expensive than the tape. Do you just apply the interfacing to one side of the batting?
    Yep. All you are trying to do is hold it together until the quilt is quilted. The only time this MIGHT not work real well is if 1) you hand quilt-it might be a little harder to quilt through the tape, maybe. 2) quilt very little. I see that some of you just stitch-in-the-ditch or quilt fairly sparsely. For my quilts, I would want this to be well quilted over in order for it to really hold. Opinion only....

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Shelley. I'll try it!

$9 a roll seems a little pricey! I think I will try the fusible interfacing. Thanks Shelley. Always trying to be "green" in using my materials.

Carol

Blog Entries
    it is a brilliant idea, and i know people will buy it.

but i have always sewn my batting together using a "SITD" foot, and a zig zag stitch. i don't overlap it. it never has a "bump" in it. i hated wasting batting!

I've always zig zagged my batting together also, without overlaping. I hand quilt and this seems to work for me. :-D

HAS ANYONE USED IT? I WONDER IF IT'S WORTH THE MONEY.

Blog Entries
    do you have a stitch in the ditch foot? it has the metal bar in the center of the foot..at least that is what i use..although not required..
    you just butt both pieces of batting up against both sides of the bar, and use a zig zag stitch to join them.

Thanks for sharing that video link - cool product

Several good ideas! Thanks for sharing. Does anyone have a problem with polyester batting melting when ironed?

Batting can be pieced by laying the two strips side by side overlapping the edges. Cut through both layers, which will make the edges of both pieces match. Then at the sewing machine butt the two pieces and sew with a wide zig-zag stitch. I have used this method time after time and it works fine.

Shelley -I have used the fusable interfacing for several years also. Have not had any problem with it even with the 3 and 5 year old grandchildren playing tug of war with a quilt that I had used the interfacing to join the bat.
    That quilt has been washed at least 4 times and you can not tell that the batting was pieced.

It's good to know that other quilters save batting by sewing it or taping it together, I thought I was really being a tight wad...I haven't tried the tape, but zig zagging it has always worked for me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt queen
    It's good to know that other quilters save batting by sewing it or taping it together, I thought I was really being a tight wad...I haven't tried the tape, but zig zagging it has always worked for me...
    Tight wad?! no way girl! i save the pieces for pot holders, quilt as you go projects,baby quilts. i have also given them to someone here ont he board for stuffing dolls. (the ones that are really small)
    my scraps of fabris are all cut into squares too! no waste here!

:thumbup:

community benefactor
    Take a look at one of the other videos attached to this link called Quick Quilt by Stash Quilting. I hadn't seen this before, but it could sure help you finish a quilt.
    Susan

Blog Entries

This is what I've done for about the last year.
    It works great! :thumbup:

I think I had bought about 2 yards last year, and cut them into 1" strips, put them all in a ziplock bag. They are ready when I need them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast