Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting and Copyright Law

Quilting and Copyright Law

I thought this article, which is very up to date, is something that others would find as interesting as I did. There is nothing like FACTS as opposed to MYTHS.

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...Quilting.shtml
    Last edited by JerseyGirl in FL; 03-04-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: forgot to post link

Thank you. Pattern makers have gotten so out of hand with putting restrictions on their patterns that I will no longer buy a pattern where there is as statement about not being able to sell anything you make from the pattern. There are plenty of designers that are more than happy to have you sell their products at craft fairs, etc.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    Thank you for posting this. It was very informational and I appreciate having the copyright issue clarified. It always aggravated me when I see a design I like but they restrict it's use. It's nice to know what is and isn't true.

So if you buy a pattern you can make quilts from it and sell them even if they say you can't. Because their restrictions aren't legal. They can't restrict your use of the pattern. What you can't do is copy the pattern and sell it.

I was also impressed with how many times they used the Quilting Board as a source of info. that I wasn't expecting! LOL

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the information. Very helpful and answered a lot of questions I have had about selling my quilts.

This article is timely and welcome as there have been so many confusing pieces witten about the subject. One was almost afraid to post anything for fear of being sued. Geez!
    Prettip

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this article.... And hello to my friend Miss P who posted right before me!!!!
    Ellen

Blog Entries
    thank you so much for posting this aricle it is good to get the truth I know after that publication in McCalls I let all magazine subscritions expire as I did not want to spend money on something I could not use I have not even bought a magazine off the news stand since then just use the free ones on the internet I always wondered why they put their patterns on the market if they did not want people using them good to know if I want to make something for a craft sale it is legal thanks again for the truth

Very interesting updated information. I think there are many discussions on this topic on the board somewhere, but this is recent, and very understandable. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Maybe now others will understand better. Great info.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Thanks so much for the information.

Anita in Northfield

I did the same as Dodie, let all my subscriptions lapse for the same reason. Thank you for posting the link; I have saved it and am thinking of printing it out and taking it to the craft fairs I do.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

May I add my thanks to the others. As a new quilter I didn't even know there was an issue. I book-marked his site for future reference!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I'm also bookmarking this article for future reference.
    Great information with actual citations of law--a much more compelling argument than opinion.
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

There are many quilt patterns that have different names and fabrics but seem to be the same pattern. How many original quilt patterns can there be? Thanks for the article.

Blog Entries
    Taberone makes good sense of the complicated legal mombo jumbo.
    I never could understand how anyone could say you could not make this pattern and then sell your piece. they sold you the pattern to make it. When it is a group of puppets, or dolls, what do they think you're going to do with it? when it is a craft, that's a no brainer.
    Thanks for sharing this link.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. Will keep this in mind

Adding my thanks for the very informative link that clearly explains the issue.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Thank you for this article. It contests many of the misconceptions I have heard. Very interesting!

Thanks so much, a very clear article to dispell all the false information.
    Deb T

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing this valuable info.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    please remember that this website is very controversial! It is NOT the given word on copyright. Only YOUR lawyer can determine that if you are caught violating a copyright! Many people continue do what they know is wrong when it comes to copying patterns and it hurts the artists/designers more than you can imagine!

Also most of the "rules" governing fabric use are intended for those overseas. Even in Canada they are not forced to follow the rules, and thus they buy fabrics here to make items to sell globally and in mass. That hurts the company and the designer!

Having said that the most protected and enforced copyrights on fabric all have to do with Disney and anything College or Pro sports! Best to avoid making items to sell from those period!

Just remember, if you know in your heart it is wrong, then it is wrong! If the label says it is copyright protected, then somebody paid money to get that and it is there for a reason!

If you want to make a few items to sell, usually an email to the designer is all it takes to get that permission! I do however know that Atkinson designs will NOT allow items to made for resale from their patterns. SO, I do not use their patterns, period! It only took an email to learn this!

To thine own self be True!

I had a very well versed reply typed, including Supreme Court citations, and my computer crashed.

So, I will just say this...after talking to my DH (an administrative law attorney) and his partner about copyright law and this Tabberone site, they agree that the issue is completely blown out of proportion. The fear mongering is senseless. When you lay down your cash and purchase a pattern, you are free to make and sell anything you want BESIDES copies of the actual printed pattern.

BUY your patterns, make something pretty. Keep it, sell it, give it away. You are under no obligation to anyone to do otherwise.

And if you can find citation of a court case where someone was actually held accountable for selling an item made from a pattern that they bought, I will eat this laptop, piece by piece.
    Last edited by dixie_fried; 03-06-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: clarification
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    Thank you for posting this. It was very informational and I appreciate having the copyright issue clarified. It always aggravated me when I see a design I like but they restrict it's use. It's nice to know what is and isn't true.

So if you buy a pattern you can make quilts from it and sell them even if they say you can't. Because their restrictions aren't legal. They can't restrict your use of the pattern. What you can't do is copy the pattern and sell it.

I was also impressed with how many times they used the Quilting Board as a source of info. that I wasn't expecting! LOL
    I agree. Which to me also states that if you see a quilt block you like, and the pattern is 'copyrighted' we are allowed to create our own way of making that quilt block, and then copyrighted that, correct? As an example, a member here created a pattern for a quilt block that was shown on a quilt, and then put a 'copyright' on it. What is copyrighted is the way she made that block, as the block was already in use, and 'copyrighted' according to the article. So I can take that block, go into EQ7, create my own way to create that block, and then put my own copyright on it?

That was some good information for everyone, simple to understand and mostly common sense. I have stated before that if I purchase a pattern or a book, I can make and sell whatever I want. The same applies to doll designers. They want to limit how many you sell and you're not allowed to sell on ebay ahahahahahah.....oh phooey!!

The other thing that erks me is the habit of quilt shows who insists that the quilter give credit to whoever put the quit together on the machine. Why? the work was done by the quilter. She paid a long armer to put it together. The credit belongs only to the quitler who made the quilt, for heavens sake!

Thank you so much for the info.I had talked to a lawyer friend also and he had said the same things.He also said the pattern designers use intimidation against people.The only thing illegal is copying and SELLING the pattern.Whatever you make is yours and yours alone.
    What will they do if we all quit buying their work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast