Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
The Quilting Hen Store in Montana is now closed for good >

The Quilting Hen Store in Montana is now closed for good

The Quilting Hen Store in Montana is now closed for good

Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Gary & Diane, BEFORE you completely get out of the fabric business, I was wondering if you could help locate some fabric for a candy quilt. I need Hershey kiss, sweet tart, reese's pieces and M&M fabric; just a fat quarter or less. Do you have any left - do u know of a vendor I could contact - a shop anywhere whyo might have some?? My husband and son have requested that these be in the quilt. My "open heart surgery" husband says since he can no longer HAVE Hershey's kisses, he would at least like to look at them... :0) Any help or direction you could provide would be greatly appreciated. God bless in your retirement. Take care, Susan Email address is: [email protected]

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
I have been limited to time on the QB due to family needs but wanted to let everyone know that The Quilting Hen is closed. Diane, the owner, started her sale in August to sell off inventory and all is done now. She sent an email today explaining the reason why after 15 years of excellent, exemplary and pleasant service she had to close the business. I have added it here for those of you who maybe went there in person or saw her at trade shows. I don't think the general public at large understands just how one supplier, partner or sponsor can impact the course of a business along with the increased shipping costs, payroll and slow economy. I think a lot of QB folks understand more than the general public as we have seen LQS, online shops and even a magazine go under. Business overhead expenses are something most have never even heard of unless they know a business owner. Unfortunately, that is why less than 50% of them make it past four years. With so many online and local quilt shops, it should not surprise anyone if a shop closes due to the any of the reasons Diane clearly states. I know many here on the QB support their local shops or the online shops but so many have cut back or put themselves on a fabric moratorium (some due to the economy and some due to the size of the stash). I applaud Diane for making a difficult but sound business decision. Sad it ended that way!

So in Diane's words:

The Quilting Hen
Greetings!

To my Dear Friends and Quilting Hen Supporters;

Today is October 6, 2014 and it has been a very unpleasant experience closing my store after 15 years, but I owe you an apology and explanation why the closure.

About 2 years ago, the fabrics/quilting industry began to take an extreme downturn. Along with economy, prices of fabrics, shipping and paying staff what they deserved to be paid was taking a toll. At that time, I came very close to closing the store, but thought I could make it work. I began working with a variety of magazines editors and fabric companies. That was the shot in the arm that this store need to keep going. All seemed to be fine and then on August 8, 2014, I received word that a major magazine publisher (the one I had been working with for 2 years) closed overnight. No notice to employees or anything just closed. I had contracts out for 2014-2015 to bring in the income for the store, but lost that overnight too. Being a PFAFF Sewing Machine Dealer harbors great financing and emotional responsibility to educate staff and make at least 4 trips per year for required events. We attended everything Pfaff Required from us since 2000 except when a flight from Great Falls was cancelled due to weather and Gary was unable to attend a meeting in Seattle. Why am I telling you this, we did everything we could to bring you the best sewing machine, education, training, classes and events possible. We were one of the stores to come to if you wanted to know about Pfaff and everything quilting and sewing had to offer. There was no store I visited in the US that came anywhere close to the quality and training The Quilting Hen store offered. Every time we went to meetings or traveled, Gary and I would check out these stores and were shocked at what they did not have or did not know.

My dream was to have my Operations Manager and her family open a Pfaff Dealership in Great Falls. With all the education, training and abilities she possessed, it would be a win win business. However, that was my dream not theirs. She took a job within the health care industry, so it looks like she will retire from the quilting venue for a while, possibly to return.

So back to the store, after the closure of the national publishing companies and fabric companies merging, looking at higher fabric prices, increased shipping (almost bi-weekly); the numbers were just not there for me to keep the doors open. The reason Gary sent out such a confusing email was that 2 ladies from Havre upset my OP Manager on Tuesday, Sept 30, 2014 so badly that Gary had enough of people being so mean and ugly about my closing and to my staff. When I heard "how dare I close this store" - that is when I had enough also. September 30, 2014 was the last day of business. The store phone, store email, and the store web site are no longer in service.

So to make sure I covered everything that I need to explain and apologize for; none of my staff wanted to continue with the Pfaff Dealership, the economy is still very unstable, the fabric industry is extremely soft and prices of everything quilting and sewing related are increasing almost daily. That is why the store closed, nothing more. I devoted 15 years to my internet customers, my local community, the Pfaff VSM Family along with the fabulous and talented people who worked for me. I appreciate every one of you and I hope that you will continue with your hobby and craft. If at all possible, please support your local stores and not the local fabric chain stores. Find forgiveness in your heart as Gary's email was only trying to protect myself and the ladies in the store from the mean and unnecessary comments that had been overwhelming to all of us. We just closed and nothing more. Best to all of you and have a great time with your family and friends in this fast approaching holiday season.

With Best Wishes, Diane Arganbright

Gary and Diane Arganbright
The Quilting Hen
Old 10-08-2014, 12:11 PM

I tried to reply to Diane's letter but my email came back, so I am printing it here in the hopes she will see it.

Thank you, Diane, for your explanation. I’m sorry you’ve been exposed to the hatefulness that seems to be taking over some idiot people.

Please be assured that there are still polite, friendly, and appreciative former customers out here—I cannot be the only one! For several years you were one of my top resources to feed my fabric addiction, and I am sorry to see you go, but certainly understand your reasons, and regardless of reasons, it is your right as a business owner to close for any darn reason you please, and you are not required to justify or even tell anyone those reasons.

I wish you and your staff the very best in any and all future endeavors, whatever they are or are not. (I’m recently and not entirely voluntarily retired, and feel more liberated every day. Productive happens some days and may or may not increase later on!) Also, for what it’s worth, I’ve found change to be stressful and even depressing, even when it’s a good and highly desired change! I generally count on 3 –6 months for mental adjustments, longer when it’s a forced and unhappy change.

Again, thank you all for your kindness and professionalism over the years, and the great fabric bargains.
Susan Stefun
Old 10-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

When some one has to close up shop why do others have to be so mean and rude? It would be one thing if the shop owners were selling to some one else. The owners were not the only one affected by this, they did have employees. If some one falls on hard times why is it others feel the need to kick them in the a**?
Old 10-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I have never ordered from the Quilting Hen. Wishing them well and sending Prayers from the Gulf to help them get through this ordeal. It is life changing and can affect health and well being.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:34 PM

No one ever said retail business was easy! It's not. My husband had his own cabinet shop -- but increased material costs and competition from other countries just made it impossible. It takes a lot, mentally, physically and emotionally to maintain a business. Sometimes the rewards just aren't enough! It is sad. It is a very sad commentary that anyone who is a "customer" of a retail business could possibly be crass enough to "dare her to close the store." But, that's what we're all dealing with -- unfortunately. So sorry to see these type of things happen!

Jeanette