Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! Mystery Part 1 >

Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! Mystery Part 1

Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! Mystery Part 1

Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 PM

a question
how do you square the strip blocks without a square up ruler.
any ideas would be helpful
thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by hspirit_99
a question
thanks
I used a 9 1/2" square ruler that I had. I laid the 0 on the corner of the paper (worked on the back), then the diagonal line I lined up with the opposite corner of my paper. I was able to use my paper pattern as a guide, setting the edges on the 8 1/2 lines. Then used my rotary cutter and cut along one side. I used my rotating mat (first time I have used it) and turned it to the next side and did the same thing. They came out very nice. (I also love the rotating 12" x 12" mat for this which I got as Michael's with a 50% off coupon.) I hope this makes sense! :lol:
Old 12-05-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by hspirit_99
a question
thanks
Yes, follow Miss Jeanie's suggestions.
Square up from the back.
If you do not have a square up ruler, go ahead and use the lines on your mat and a straight ruler.
If you are going to spend $$ on a bigger square ruler, might I suggest the 15 inch square.
Sometimes, we limit our sizes, when a few $$ more will give you a better option.
(I am speaking with bitterness. I had to buy a 9.5" ruler for a quilting class, and I don't think it was three weeks later and I needed a bigger square - - hence the 15" square)
I wouldn't mess with 1/2 inch sizes, because it is too easy to get the .5" on the wrong side and you will cut the block smaller than you need and be very frustrated.
(My experiences have jaded my appreciation for some of what others so enjoy, but - - now you have a couple of other things to consider before you go out and spend money)
Don't forget to cut from the back - - I have always cut from the front and miss the foundation, which causes a different situation that is not always beneficial. Cutting from the back has been a new concept to me in the last couple of weeks or so, so I am really recommending it because I am certain it will make a big, happy difference <wave>
Old 12-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Okay...I understand squaring up with a larger square ruler but I'm missing the reasoning for working from the back. :oops: Please explain. :?:
Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 AM

thanks for the suggestions, i will give it a try. thank you all
Old 12-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
Okay...I understand squaring up with a larger square ruler but I'm missing the reasoning for working from the back. :oops: Please explain. :?:
When you trim up the blocks, you are putting the outside edges on a bias (caused by the way you stitch the strips on a diagonal). By cutting from the back, you will be cutting closer to the foundation, thus giving those bias edges more support.
Keep in mind that the foundation stays on the back of the block until you have it all sewn into the quilt top - - to protect that bias edge.
Cutting from the back ensures that the most foundation possible will remain. <wave>
Old 12-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by hcarpanini
I love this part of the mystery. I can see my next quilt.
OOOOOO! Those blocks are pretty. I didn't even start mine yet. I don't have many strips but I have fat quarters so I'm going to cut them up. Good luck everyone! This is so much fun :-D
Old 12-06-2010, 10:09 AM

I use the paper backing as a guide - put the edge of the ruler on the one corner of the paper - line the diagonal line to the other corner of the paper. By using the paper as a guide, it made it easy to cut the squares to the correct size, as my papers were exact size I needed.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by omak
When you trim up the blocks, you are putting the outside edges on a bias (caused by the way you stitch the strips on a diagonal). By cutting from the back, you will be cutting closer to the foundation, thus giving those bias edges more support.
Keep in mind that the foundation stays on the back of the block until you have it all sewn into the quilt top - - to protect that bias edge.
Cutting from the back ensures that the most foundation possible will remain. <wave>
According to the directions, it says to strip the paper off the blocks before the next step? I have been stripping mine off. They lay real flat and I don't think there will be a problem sewing them for whatever she has us do next.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by omak
Thanks so much for the wonderful explanation! I have a feeling teacher is somewhere in your resume. I enjoy reading all your posts as there is so much thought and knowledge behind every one.

Even though I am not doing the mystery quilt with you (planning to start right after the new year), I am following everyone's progress and absorbing so much from the pictures and posts. I've already decided my colors will be the same as Bonnie's except my constants will be blue and burgundy. Working on getting my fabrics together so I will be ready to go.

I'm excited for everyone participating.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: