Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Rotary Mat Base >

Rotary Mat Base

Rotary Mat Base

Old 04-22-2021, 04:13 PM

Default Rotary Mat Base

Julienm posted a sale for an 8" rotary mat from QIAD. It was a good price but i really wanted a bit larger one. So, i went looking on Amazon and found this rotary base for $11.99 and thought I'd give it a try:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Next, i looked for a small cutting mat. I wanted a 12" square but couldn't find a square one. I did find this for $9.97:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

although its 12x18, i figured i could cut one side down.

I am really pleased! The bases spins so well and i don't think I'll have to fix the mat to the base, but no problem if i have to. The base is very light so easy to move out of the way. The mat is rather thin, but i didn't expect a great one for that price. It is double sided though.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:12 AM

Both are good finds, thank you!
Old 04-23-2021, 03:50 AM

Now that is thinking outside the box...I especially like the base idea because neither of the two Olfa bases I have, swivel easily. Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:18 AM

Thank you! I've ordered the base but am going to top it with glass so I can swivel it when I'm using alcohol ink to paint. I won't be able to cut on that, but I will be able to clean it.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:17 PM

I'm so happy this was helpful to y'all. I am tickled pink myself. Lol. I've wanted a rotating mat but kept shying away from an all in one. Thinking about having to buy a new one once the mat got old was depressing. The Martelli appealed to me so stumbling onto the base (above) was exc iting to me. Goofy the things we get excited about, right? haha
Old 04-24-2021, 07:47 AM

I have the Olfa rotating mats (for quite a few years) and love the rotating motion. I have also used just a smaller mat on my big mat and turned it, works well, too. I’m in love with the pink circular rotating mats from Sue Daley but they are expensive and I really don’t need them - but they are so cute!!!! You did a great job of finding a good,workaround without spending tons of $$$$$. Thanks.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 04-24-2021, 08:26 AM

I have one of the rotating mats I bought from Fat Quarter Shop years ago. I really like it and figure I'll just put another mat on it when the mat wears out.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

I have the large Martelli Roundabout. It's very old and I'm still using the same mat. It sure has held it's quality. I use it all the time. I like it as it does not tip when cutting pressure is put on the edge of it. I also have a 12 x 18" inch rectangle rotating mat frame made by Elna. It is one handy dandy thing and always a Where did you get that? at retreats. LOL Any 12 x 18" mat will fit it.