Tension video

Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Default Tension video

This little video has information about tension - both bobbin and top thread - that I had never seen anywhere else. It is specifially for a long arm, but seems that it would also be true for FMQ on a domestic machine. If that's not the case, please tell me. I learned a LOT here!

Dollyo posted this link on another thread so thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for posting this! I was going to start a quilt this afternoon and I'm going to try it out. I already check the bobbin the same way he shows, but my top thread is way looser than he suggests. I have noticed that the stitches look better when it's still on the frame than when I remove it, so this may be my problem.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Jamie is so talented! I could not get my tension right without much struggle untill I used his method. Thank you for posting this it will be such a help for everyone!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM

That is a very good video with good instructions.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Just watched the video, lots of good points, found out something I've been doing since I learned to sew!
He said, when you put the bobbin back into the machine, not to hold on to the toggle, but to keep it closed and put the bobbin in and jiggle it until it seats. The toggle is the lever on the back of the bobbin case. It was worth watching just to see I've been doing that wrong. Great, simplistic video for tension problems and how to correct them.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM

Great video. Simple, clear, concise. I have a great dread (hence my procrastination issues) due to thread tension. My dealer said the same things, but the part about pulling the bobbin up then backing off was a light bulb moment. Also, I am definately going to try his technique in the testing the bobbin in my hand. I was instructed to left it drop like a spider web, but it makes more sense his way. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm getting more confident every day.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the video....good points.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcurious View Post
Just watched the video, lots of good points, found out something I've been doing since I learned to sew!
He said, when you put the bobbin back into the machine, not to hold on to the toggle, but to keep it closed and put the bobbin in and jiggle it until it seats. The toggle is the lever on the back of the bobbin case. It was worth watching just to see I've been doing that wrong. Great, simplistic video for tension problems and how to correct them.

I have also learned much from this video. But I was wondering why he says never to hold the bobbin case by the toggle. Does anyone know?