Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Two tips to threading your machine >

Two tips to threading your machine

Two tips to threading your machine

Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM

Presser foot down, needle up, thanks! I think I've been putting the presser foot down to see the needle better, who would have thought it affected the tension disks?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

For new machines it doesn't matter which way you turn the wheel to raise the needle.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
Presser foot down, needle up, thanks! I think I've been putting the presser foot down to see the needle better, who would have thought it affected the tension disks?
Presser foot UP! Needle UP! As long as there was no thread in her machine, it didn't matter if she turned the knob forwards or back, she was just showing that the thread take-up needs to be at its highest point. Otherwise, when you start to sew, as soon as that take-up lever goes UP, it will pull your thread right out of the needle. And then you can start over again.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 AM

I meant Presser foot UP, which is why I went on to say I had been putting it down. It might take me a while to remember to put it up though.

I've had the thread come out by turning the wheel. I bought a new lightweight Brother to take to class and I have to actually hold the thread and line up the hand wheel each time I stop stitching or it will do that. It will also create a big mess from attempting to get to the right position to start the first stitch. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it till I read the manual -- imagine that? You're supposed to read the manual?? There is a raised plastic line on the hand-wheel where it should be lined up and I darkened it with a permanent Sharpie.

It's a real pain to remember since I learned to sew on my Janome which returns itself to the right position.

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post