Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Very interesting: how to sew fabric together with no seams showing. >

Very interesting: how to sew fabric together with no seams showing.

Very interesting: how to sew fabric together with no seams showing.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Thanks BellaBoo!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM

very interesting technique. Thanks so much for the link.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Yup. Simple Flat-Felled seam. Also called a French Seam. Used a lot on sheer blouses so you won't see any ugly raw edges through it or have fraying to deal with.

Look at the seams running down the insides of your jeans legs... same seam. In that instance, it's for durability.
I, too, thought it looked like a French Seam, but it's really not. This "Pojagi" is truly FLAT.
A French Seam is clean and no raw edges but has a bit of a dimension... at least the ones I've seen in handmade organdy dresses from my ancestors.

Both type seams are great for their appropriate applications.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM

With the replies, you can tell who came from a clothing background and who didn't. I also know this as a flat fell seam, and if you look at your jeans and some shirts, it's still a current technique.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Yup. Simple Flat-Felled seam. Also called a French Seam. Used a lot on sheer blouses so you won't see any ugly raw edges through it or have fraying to deal with.

Look at the seams running down the insides of your jeans legs... same seam. In that instance, it's for durability.
Actually, a French seam is a bit different. With a French seam, you sew the seam with the wrong sides together, trim and then sew the seam right sides together, encasing the raw edges. It looks like a regular seam from the outside, without a line of stitching showing, but the seams are enclosed and not fraying. I do this with pillowcases, and remember it as- " first you sew it wrong, then you sew it right"!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks for sharing, it was a good refresher video for me.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM

I think I saw a sewing foot called a Felling Foot. It said to make flat felled seams. She use a 1/4" foot then a center foot. Guess you could make this with this Felling Foot.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
This just looks like a fancy name for a flat felled seam that we learned in 4-H.
Just what I said to myself. Except I learned in home ec. But it really is a fancy name. LOL
Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Interesting that she changed the presser foot for the second stitching.
Seemed like an unnecessary step to me.

Having the 'fold' on the inside of the work does give it a different look than when 'fold' is on the outside of the work.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
Actually, a French seam is a bit different. With a French seam, you sew the seam with the wrong sides together, trim and then sew the seam right sides together, encasing the raw edges. It looks like a regular seam from the outside, without a line of stitching showing, but the seams are enclosed and not fraying. I do this with pillowcases, and remember it as- " first you sew it wrong, then you sew it right"!
quiltmom04, This was my thinking too. I use the French Seam for those quick, "tube" pillowcases that a lot of us have made for kids and grandkids. It finishes them off nicely on the inside. The Pojagi seams are really, really flat. I love the way they can make sheer or semi-sheer fabrics look like stained glass. After watching the video (and several others), I am thinking of making a half curtain for my kitchen window (it's on the front of our house and looks out on the road .... feels like I am in a fishbowl at night) in this fashion. It would give a bit of privacy but look great (maybe like stained glass due to the kitchen light) from inside and outside too. Hope so!