Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Vintage Jelly Roll Race? >
  • Vintage Jelly Roll Race?

• Vintage Jelly Roll Race?

Old 07-31-2018, 06:09 PM
    Power Poster

Default Vintage Jelly Roll Race?

If the quilt in this listing is really vintage, it just shows that the jelly roll quilt idea is nothing new. If it isn't vintage, it still shows that you can make one with non-standard fabrics. I'm also intrigued by the idea that it's two-sided. Pretty cool, huh?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...635884195.html
    Old 07-31-2018, 06:13 PM

Very interesting quilt indeed! The stitches are perfect. I wonder if it is vintage. Hopefully someone here will be able to tell us.
    Old 07-31-2018, 06:42 PM

I think this may be a cigar ribbon quilt. Prior to the advent of cedar boxes, cigars were sold tied in bunches with ribbons bearing brand names; thousands of brands existed in the 19th-early 20th centuries. Victorian-Edwardian periodicals showed quiltmakers how to reuse the ribbons in decorative household accents, most often pillows or tablemats ranging in size from about 20" to 36" Larger quilts are rare.
    Old 07-31-2018, 07:07 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JustRetired
    I think this may be a cigar ribbon quilt. Prior to the advent of cedar boxes, cigars were sold tied in bunches with ribbons bearing brand names; thousands of brands existed in the 19th-early 20th centuries. Victorian-Edwardian periodicals showed quiltmakers how to reuse the ribbons in decorative household accents, most often pillows or tablemats ranging in size from about 20" to 36" Larger quilts are rare.
    I had not heard of cigar ribbon quilts, so thank you for bringing that bit of history to my attention. It's fascinating that quilters have been making things out of whatever is available for generations, kind of like the Crown Royal bag quilts.
    Reading up on the cigar ribbons, it appears that they were usually only 3/4" wide, and had the cigar company's name on them. (And that reminds me of making a quilt with fabric selvages.) The strips in this quilt appear to be about 2" wide and don't have any writing, so I don't think it's made from cigar ribbons. But now I'm wondering if those strips are some other type of wider ribbon. I found a quilt on ebay made with horse show ribbons, and while part of the ribbon had printing, much of it did not. Maybe this is something similar?
    Old 07-31-2018, 10:09 PM

My DM had a lovely silk quilt. It was made from the silk ribbons that had been on the wedding presents for one of my great grandmother's. Or was it a great great grandmother?
    Old 08-01-2018, 03:08 AM

My first thought was that it was made of satin blanket binding. I know my mom and grandma used to buy this at the Five and Dime and had boxes of these packages of shiny fabric strips. Just a thought.
    Old 08-01-2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    My first thought was that it was made of satin blanket binding. I know my mom and grandma used to buy this at the Five and Dime and had boxes of these packages of shiny fabric strips. Just a thought.
    hmm, that-probably is how it's made, if it is two sided, that would be the best way to do it. And those strips do look about the width of blanket binding......good observation!