Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wool Ironing Board Cover

Wool Ironing Board Cover

Just wanted to post that I ordered a wool ironing board cover from Sonoma Wool Co. and I really like it. I did not want to have just a small wool square. It cost 65.50 including shipping. I could not find a wool pad to fit my ironing board except at this place. The length was perfect but needed to trim to fit the shape of the ironing board.

thank you for the information. Looks like a great price. I am wondering if we are supposed to cover the pad with canvas or some other material so the wool doesn't get dirty? Anyone out there have experience with the wool mats? Thanks!

Thanks for posting this information. Been looking at the mats but didn't know about this product.

I have wool yardage under my cotton ironing board cover. It works great! The steam/heat from the iron seems to come back up to the bottom of the fabric you're ironing/pressing to release more wrinkles than just using your average cotton ironing board cover. A quilter friend told me about this method several years ago and I just love it!

mac
    Wow, I didn't know about this company. Thanks for the link. They are practically in my backyard. I'll have to go up there and see them. I feel a road trip coming on... Woohoo!

I ended up ordering one too! I got the 17" X 24" one. Free shipping and was only $55.00. I looked on Amazon and then found the company name....just can't remember it right now.

Thanks for posting. I looked on their website and they show an ironing board pad. Is that what you got? Or do they also make a whole cover out of wool that I'm not seeing?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Seems wool batting would work for the ironing board pad. It doesn't look felted like the wool pressing mats.

Would an old wool blanket from the 40’s work as a ironing board cover? My mother used this one when training for a nurse and it has been washed so many times over the years that it is well felted and shrunk and just sitting in a cupboard.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

I think any pure wool would work great as an ironing board pad. It wouldn't be the exactly the same as the wool pressing mats that are about 1/2" thick felted wool. That is what makes the pads so nice to press blocks and pieces.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
    Would an old wool blanket from the 40s work as a ironing board cover? My mother used this one when training for a nurse and it has been washed so many times over the years that it is well felted and shrunk and just sitting in a cupboard.
    This is what I did! Bought an old wool blanket at the thrift store for 8$ and put it on my ironing board to press my blocks. I LOVE the result!

Eleanor Burns/Quilt in a Day has the wool mats "on sale" for over 50% off in case anyone is interested.

Blog Entries
    I bought a piece of wool like this also. I covered the top of a dresser for a large ironing surface. I also have a small table covered for ironing smaller items. I love, love it.

being a thrifty bottom feeder... I cut open an old wool sock to test run the whole idea of 'presses flatter'.
    I couldn't seen any difference

I just ordered a 100% wool 3/8 inch 3 ft by 4 ft for $38.41 you choose your size......
    https://ecorugpads.com/wool-rug-pads...s-cushion.html

there is a discount code at the top of the site

I have ordered from eco rug as well. Note that you select the width (short side) and the length makes no difference in the price. If you want it 3 ft long, same price as 6 ft. I believe they cut it off a wide roll. So order it longer and cut it up

Blog Entries
    Are the ones from eco-rug 100% wool and nothing else? eta: after reading it looks like the wool ones are wool only. The "felt" ones may have other ingredients in them. Are the wool pads helpful if you don't use steam? I always use a spray bottle.
    Last edited by gale; 01-14-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    being a thrifty bottom feeder... I cut open an old wool sock to test run the whole idea of 'presses flatter'.
    I couldn't seen any difference
    You wouldn't. The sock is soft not felted to 1/2 thick and not rigid like the wool pressing mats. You can't fold a wool pressing mat no matter how small. A wool pressing surface is soft and can be folded like a blanket.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    You wouldn't. The sock is soft not felted to 1/2 thick and not rigid like the wool pressing mats. You can't fold a wool pressing mat no matter how small. A wool pressing surface is soft and can be folded like a blanket.
    So does that mean these 1/4" thick wool pressing surfaces don't really have any benefit beyond being a padded surface?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by connietoo View Post
    I just ordered a 100% wool 3/8 inch 3 ft by 4 ft for $38.41 you choose your size......
    https://ecorugpads.com/wool-rug-pads...s-cushion.html
    Did you get it yet? If so, how do you like it? Is it any different from a regular padded ironing board?

I got my 17" X 24" wool mat the other day. So far, I love it and when I get some extra cash....I'm ordering another one (so it will cover my ironing surface). It does have a little "wet dog" smell, but it came with something to get the odor out. But, I don't mind it...so won't use it yet. I also use the tailors clappers to put on top of the seams, but I'm not sure if I need both. Just love the mat. (I think I paid $55 for it via Amazon).

Blog Entries
    I have a full mat covering my ironing surface and I love it, I get much flatter seams. I do cover it with a cloth when using starch/sprays.

The Sonoma batting is 37.00 a yard, is that a good price?
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    ~Mahatma Ghandi