Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wow - Circular Sewing

Blog Entries

Wow - Circular Sewing

True4uca

I took a class how to sew circles this way years ago. I remember we couldn't use the set in tables or machines set in a cabinet and used the thick JC Penny catalogs, everyone had those, to push the pin into. LOL I think now the newer machines have attachments to sew perfect circles.
    I love my life!

Genius! I can't wait to try this!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-09-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

I can't wait to try it - thanks so much for posting this!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I wish I had seen this earlier. Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing this.

I have this foot to sew circles on my machine. It's lots of fun to stitch new designs. I use the pivot button so the action of the foot pedal lifts the foot (needle stays down) and I can turn the fabric.

http://babylock.com/accessories/feet...duct_ID=BL-CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    I have this foot to sew circles on my machine. It's lots of fun to stitch new designs. I use the pivot button so the action of the foot pedal lifts the foot (needle stays down) and I can turn the fabric.

http://babylock.com/accessories/feet...duct_ID=BL-CSA
    I just ordered that foot from sewing machines plus, online. Lots cheaper than from my dealer! I tried the thumbtack, it works too! Another toy to play with...

Take a strip of blue painters tape and put a flat head thumb tack in it with the sharp end pointing up. Place your fabric on this tack and sew. You do not have to guide fabric. The size of the circle will be twice the distance from the needle to tack tip.
    Once you sew first circle. Then you can remove tack and fabric and sew using the edge of pressure foot to make additional circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny580 View Post
    Take a strip of blue painters tape and put a flat head thumb tack in it with the sharp end pointing up. Place your fabric on this tack and sew. You do not have to guide fabric. The size of the circle will be twice the distance from the needle to tack tip.
    Once you sew first circle. Then you can remove tack and fabric and sew using the edge of pressure foot to make additional circles.
    ..or just move that tack out a bit further for each ring of that circle...easier than hand guiding for additional rings. At least I found that for me it worked better....

And that is the reason I am her every morning reading the site! Great idea, can't wait to try it.
    Linda J.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    ..or just move that tack out a bit further for each ring of that circle...easier than hand guiding for additional rings. At least I found that for me it worked better....
    ..oops, forgot to mention, put a pencil eraser - cut off of a pencil - or whatever, on top of that tack point so fabric stays down

Blog Entries
    My Viking extension table from the 80's has pin holes drilled into it for this very purpose. I've used it a fair amount. A couple of things remember, the pin must be placed in line with the needle. Keeping it in line vital to getting concentric circles. The other thing is that you need to stabilize your fabric. I used this technique to make dozens of those circle travel jewelry bags. No marking! Just cut a square & stick your pin in.
    Lots of free patterns for this. Here's one:
    https://sew4home.com/projects/storag...-jewelry-pouch

it is a really fun technique!
    Some of the sew steady extension tables are also pre drilled:
    http://www.sewvacdirect.com/sew-stea...4aAni2EALw_wcB
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-10-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    ..oops, forgot to mention, put a pencil eraser - cut off of a pencil - or whatever, on top of that tack point so fabric stays down
    A little piece off a pool noodle will also work in place of a pencil eraser to keep the fabric on the tack.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Great video...I love the ideas you learn from this board.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have tried this with and without walking foot but my project always looks a little rippled. Anyone have suggestions to keep this from happening?

I had a White machine that was new in 1966 that came with a circle attachment. I remember trying it out, but didn't have a use for it at the time. It seems to me that it was nothing more than a little pin that attached point up in various holes on the machine bed, and had a cap of some sort to keep the fabric from popping off. I wish I'd kept that old machine, but when I inherited my mom's slightly newer Elna in 1986, I had the crazy idea that I only needed one sewing machine.

The beauty of this phone book method is that you can make bigger circles than you could with a device that's attached to the machine bed. I believe I would use some duct tape to attach the phone books either to the machine or the table to make sure my circle didn't turn into an ellipse. Just the vibration from the machine could possibly cause it to slide.

You can buy circle attachments that apparently fit various machines. Here's a youtube video demonstrating a couple of different ones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WO7nwIKdnI
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Cool idea but I too have the circle attachment which works the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJ View Post
    And that is the reason I am her every morning reading the site! Great idea, can't wait to try it.
    Boy, do I agree with this! Love this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Marich52 View Post
    I have tried this with and without walking foot but my project always looks a little rippled. Anyone have suggestions to keep this from happening?
    Slow down stitching speed and use the pivot function if you have one. Stop stitching with the needle down and turn the fabric frequently. Practice before stitching the actual project. You will get the feel while doing the practice session.

I have found a lite weight stabilizer or tissue paper will prevent the rippling, I use basting spray to keep it together....

No . . . but guess what? After viewing the site, it's in the mail! I love, love, LOVE circles, and this tool is PERFECT for me. Thanks!

I have been researching ways to applique circles(I need quite a few) since I saw a quilt by feline fanatic made with circles. She hand stitched hers, but I know if I ever get it made, it won't be done by hand..... no how, no way! I even considered a snowball instead of a circle, looking for a simpler(is that a word?) way to do it. After seeing this, I think I will stick with the circle. Thanks for posting this.
    Jan

Thanks Geri and Rhonda....good tips