Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you an Eleanor Burns fan?

Very enjoyable show. Eleanor gave a talk locally a few years ago and had everyone learning and laughing at the same time. I haven't been a big fan of hers as we didn't get many of her tv shows locally..

I so enjoyed seeing Alex Anderson who I am a big fan of because I learned to quilt watching her Simply Quilts show. She used to have a quilting message board where I met so many wonderful quilters from all over the country and Canada, many of whom have been friends of mine for over 10 years. In fact this weekend I'll be at a retreat with a few of them. I plan to bring a quilt I made from some squishy swap blocks we traded back in 2002. I'm going to see if they can pick out the blocks they made for me. .
    Last edited by May in Jersey; 07-11-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Banned
    Nope, can't stand her

I would not be quilting if eleanor burns had not come up with the log cabin method.... I thought all quilts had to be hand cut out, hand sewn and hand quilted.... and with a family and job and school at the time... I did not have the time to do that...Eleanor burns showed me a different way and i love her way at laughing at herself and making all of us enjoy the journey.
    hugs
    quiltinmama

I watched that video last week and really enjoyed it...I would love to have that cabin, of course she would have to leave all the quilts...lol
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    Wow, thanks for the link. There is no one like Eleanor Burns. She is an American icon, who is very deserving of being honored by The Quilt Show for 2011. I would be remiss though if I didn't heap my own personal praise upon Alex Anderson, who for me, was the inspiration behind my love of quilting. I watched Simply Quilts every day for years before I ever bought my first yard of fabric.

Rural01 that's how I started too! I watched Simply Quilts for years while I ate breakfast before I went to work never imagining in ailloon years that I would start quilting. I do remember seeing Eleanor on that show and loved how she pitched the scraps over her shoulder

Eleanor really is one of the "greats" in quilting. I may not always like her patterns or fabrics she chooses... but I just can't turn off my TV when she is on. I have so much respect for her and the way she runs her business.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by captlynhall View Post
    I loved the video. Can't wait to meet her in person at Quilt Festival this year.. I saw her across the room last year, but being a new quilter, I was too intimidated to go over and meet her. Now I know she would have made me feel right at ease. She overcame some tough times by her sheer determination and hard work. What's not to admire.
    I know! I saw she was on the list for Houston last year, and all I could do is tell my daughter how I was going to go see her. Finally I was able to catch her in her booth and just stood there in awe. When I got the opportunity to speak with her, my throat was dry and I could barely speak. I looked like a true country bumpkin to anyone who was watching me. She was so sweet and pleasant and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting her. Got my picture with her too!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Diet Dr. Pepper in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

All I had heard about Eleanor Burns was that she has an irritating voice. I have never watched her show, and know little to nothing about her patterns. Of course, her face and books are familiar to me by sight. But I am aware that my favorite technique for flying geese is one of hers. I love any techniques that make quilting faster, and easier, because I am an impatient quilter. I want to watch the video, since I didn't know that she was a single mother. Wow, thanks Eleanor!
    Patty from the Beach

Thank you so much for posting this video. It is absolutely wonderful. Truly enjoyed it.
    Love to quilt

Gloria C

Love Eleanor Burns! Thanks for posting the video link, it was great!
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

I was so enjoying the video til it froze saying there was a prob. with my internet connection.

I was enjoying it so much that I actually muted the TV & focused on the video. I'm such a huge fan of Eleanor's as well as Ricky & Alex. I so loved seeing her home & how much she loves her family. I just hope I can see the rest of it. I got as far as making a quilt in her studio with a grp. of friends.

Thank you a million for sharing this with us.

PS. I especially enjoy Eleanor's Sat. morn. PBS shows since she always tells a wonderful story as she works.

I couldn't watch the video, cuz my internet is to slow. Think I'll see if I can watch it at my DD's house. I love Eleanor Burns. She reminds me of when my mother sewed. there was always a mess on the floor , when she was finnished.I always watched all of E.Burn's TV shows when they were on, but the last 5 or so years haven't been on TV. Will be right back there watching , if she's ever on again.

Jim
    I love Eleanor Burns..such a strong woman and fantastic quilter...the throwing of the fabrics always bothered me but she says she was the one that had to pick them all up...we all have our quirks and if thats hers...she is entitled I just ordered twice from her Paducah Ky store last week..great bargains in honor of her birthday week. I admire her and her ability to teach us to be better quilters...with easier methods...If her voice bothers you maybe its your accent...just kidding...Glad to see she was finally inducted inthe Quilters Hall of Fame
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Thanks for posting the video. I do love Eleanor's enthusiasm. This has probably been the secret to her success.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing the video it was great she is quite a women love her show watch it all the time.

Thank you for sharing this video. I really enjoyed hearing about her. I love her videos, she is a wonderful sharing person, what I like best is she is willing to share patterns, etc, without trying to sell something to you.

I really enjoyed the video, and I would love to take a class with Eleanor Burns! I appreciate the link.
    Patty from the Beach

I have tried every way I know how and I can not get any free videos unless I join a group and it does not say how much it costs. I thought it would come up as you mentioed it to be so good. quilt for fun Grandma G

Grandma G they really are free on www.quiltinaday.com. Also you can watch her free on You tube.

I love her quilt in a day Trip around the world. I love to make it in Christmas fabrics. So easy. She is pleasant. I give her an A+
    "Wimpy Christian's won't survive spiritual warfare"- Carman

QM
    I like her. DH gets upset when she is on TV, because she throws things around. I think being casual is a good thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2