Youtube

Old 05-27-2020, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Default Youtube

Have you noticed that youtube is offering viewers a choice?

See all four ads before what you want to see or have your viewing interupted several times.

The ad overload is almost making me want to not bother watching youtube at all.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:41 AM

I understand what you are meaning, but by having more pictures, I have often found an alternate to what I was looking for originally.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I don't get ads watching Youtube. Could it be my adblocker? I don't know. Our techie friend put it on for me.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:57 AM

I have very different experiences with youtube on my locked down preferred Firefox browser and my Microsoft Edge browser where I have to open my Comcast mail program.

Full of ads on Edge/Comcast... very few on Firefox, except from the official sites like Vevo and that is usually just one and usually music related, or least has flashy graphic qualities. Sometimes it is one per song and that is annoying but I usually play from lists and don't get them that often, they auto play and I can skip through if I want.

I'm getting a bit on the tin hat extreme side of paranoia in terms of internet security and personal privacy. Visiting Youtube is probably the most dangerous site I visit in those terms. I'll still go there for specific songs but I prefer other options for background music. Last couple of weeks I've been making use of the completely ad free and announcer free music channels through my comcast cable package. The tv in the computer room is hooked through the stereo system so the sound is good. The band/song names are flashed on screen (not videos, just still shots) along with little factoids.

I've had a lot of fun with a lot of different genres. Have discovered a "new to me" artist I'm really excited about. And that I have a really surprisingly low tolerance for Smooth Jazz. I started feeling like I was stuck in an elevator after an hour, and had to get out after two! I did not expect that result. I also found I am 20-50 years out of date with what are considered show tunes.