Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Bernina 440QE with Embroidery Module >

Bernina 440QE with Embroidery Module

Bernina 440QE with Embroidery Module

Old 04-22-2024, 03:59 AM

Default Bernina 440QE with Embroidery Module

Hello everyone!

I am inheriting my mother’s Bernina 440QE with embroidery module. She has used it for years for quilting, but I’m more interested in the embroidery. When she purchased her machine, we went together & took a class at the store where she purchased it about using the module & I still have my notes, but I have some questions.

Obviously, my computer is way more advanced than Windows Vista, the highest recommended OS. Is it possible to run the software on Windows 10? (That’s the oldest OS I have available.) Also, in my notes I have that I should use .art files first, followed by .pes or .xxx, is this the case? We do have a few CDs of designs, but I was hoping to buy some fresh designs from Etsy or Creative Fabrica & there are .pes galore, but not a single .art to be found.

I’m sure I’ll post more questions as I continue on this journey! Thank you in advance for any & all information!

Stephanie
Old 04-22-2024, 04:41 AM

I know when i bought my Bernina they had the classes and we were also told we could come back at any time and take a class again. Space allowing. The embroidery was hard for me to follow as the instructor was super knowledgeable and fast! I was very confused on files. i have tried a few things on my own but when i get to a serious point i am going to retake the class. I would check in to that. Or see if someone offers a class at their home or would come to yours and do a lesson. Some of the gals from my local shop said they do that?? Good luck. There is such beautiful stuff you can do!
Old 04-22-2024, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Go to the Bernina.com website and you can read much information on the update downloads that are available. Also, I use the pes files for better definition. Although, I have to say, it has been a while since I use the newer bernina now. There are instructions on converting a cd to a card and a cd to a stick memory..
Old 04-22-2024, 10:31 PM

Buy a secondhand laptop computer with the windows application that you need,probably be $150.00 or less and it can be dedicated to the machine only
Old 04-23-2024, 11:11 PM
Gay

Agree with ZooAnimals. I have a friend keeps an old Windows xp that runs her old Janome software. Getting other stuff like embroidery cards and new reader/writers may be a problem.
I have a Brother 3000 that uses the old floppy disks, but have found out I can buy a conversion unit to use usb's. Can't remember what they're called, but wish I had bought one as the machine works like a trojan.

Last edited by Gay; 04-23-2024 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:50 AM

What do you want to do with software?

You may not need software unless you need to edit the design. You can simply transfer the design file directly from the computer to the USB. Take the USB to the embroidery machine and transfer the embroidery file to the machine.

You may be able to purchase a different brand of software that you can use for your specific file extensions. Check first to make sure it is compatible with your machine.

I seldom use software packages and simply transfer the file to the USB. Transfer single file by single file and don't put them into a folder. If I want to embroider 4 different blocks, they are listed as 4 separate files on the USB.

*Note: Some machines can read files in folders without issues.

To see an example of a design, I open the pdf or instructions part of the design file on the computer. Don't transfer that part of the file to the USB. Some designs have a thread color chart to follow along in the pdf file.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rhonda K; 04-24-2024 at 03:52 AM.