Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: do you use a topper?

do you use a topper?

At the class I took Friday, the presentor said a topper should be used in most cases. It was the first time I'd even heard the term.

I'm a newbie at this, so was wondering if this is something the more experienced people use, or just the presenter pushing it because the class was sponsored by the supplier.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Was she talking about a water soluble stabilizer? They are used for fabrics with a nap, velvet, terry cloth, fleece. It keeps the stitches from sinking into the fabric. If this was a class, she should have explained better.
    I have heard of some people who use that for most everything.

Power Poster
    Or was she talking about a table topper under the machine or cover for your machine? Need more info.

She was talking about a topper for the embroidery - either a heat n gone or a soluble product. Said to use the heat type for things with a nap so it would never go away, but a water soluble for most everything else. Exceptions were for non fabric items (leather, vinyl, balsam wood).

Besides the issue with nap (which I understand) her rationale was that the movement of the embroidery foot was going to cause stress and wear on the fabric and possible stretching with knits - and the topper would eliminate that.

I plan on using my embroidery for enhancing quilts, so figure it might not be something I need to be overly concerned about since my base fabric would be quilting cotton.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I use a WS topping for EMB when making labels and lettering. It keeps the stitches from sinking down into the fabric.

Never heard of using a topper for everything and I don't do it. I do use water soluble for terry type towels but on thinner tea towels and quilting fabrics I do not. I can't picture what she means about the "embroidery foot was going to cause stress and wear on the fabric and possible stretching with knits" . The embroidery foot on my machine doesn't touch the fabric, and if it is hooped, how would that stretch??
    So I say she may have been just a supremely cautious person. And with most things, experiment yourself and see what works for you and your machine.

I definitely use a topper for fabrics that are fuzzy or fluffy. I could see using it for delicate silks or knits. But I do not use it with quilting cottons.

Typically I do not use a topper unless the fabric has a nap or loopy fabrics such as towels. When I do use a topper it is typically Heat n Gone although Or Floriani Water Soluable Topping. Interestingly, when I went to the Floriani website to be sure I got the names right, I read that Heat N Gone can be used as the back stabilizer as well by placing the bumpy side against the fabrics. Thanks for asking the question because I learned something new!

Blog Entries
    I only use it for towels too.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi