Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
How much thread needed? >

How much thread needed?

How much thread needed?

Old 03-02-2022, 12:09 PM

Default How much thread needed?

I am going to machine embroider a baby quilt and a queen sized quilt. I am new to everything embroidery and machine quilting. I have sandwiched the quilts and basted the queen sized and am ready to start basting the baby quilt. My question is how much thread is needed for each, is there a chart that estimates it. I know it is dependent on the pattern etc. but how much of the color needed do you make sure you have on hand before starting so that it will match.
Thank you for all your help!!
Old 03-02-2022, 12:55 PM

A spool of embroidery thread or glide thread should last through both quilting projects. The same spool can be used in top and bobbin thread with plenty to spare.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:37 PM

Spools of thread come in different sizes. We did a queen with the bobbin and upper thread in the same color very loosely quilted and we used about 1 1/2 of the 2000 yard spools. To be safe I will buy 2 2000 yard spools to do a queen. I did baby quilts and I just now they were less thread. I use a different color on the top and bottom. We ran out on the queen and had a hard time finding another spool of the same thread. So be safe so you won't be sorry.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:53 AM

ep...it depends on how dense you are quilting it and the size of the project. My machine if it was an actual embroidery design I was using, would tell me how many stitches in the design but I can't remember if the newer ones also tell you the length of thread you need. also, it would depend on how thick the batting. I generally buy cones of threads for quilting rather than spools. I use a lot of Superior's SoFine which I get on the 3,280-yard spools. Yep, they are expensive, but I find that with a few basic colors, I can quilt quite a variety of projects and the cones do last a fair time. I don't quilt densely and usually get 3-4 queen-sized quilts out of cone. I have used a lot of off white, cream, light and medium grey, dusty rose, dusty green, and yellow. Over the years, I added a few lighter colors. When I start to get low, I will watch for sales and try and pick up enough, so I get free shipping. My threads are stored in a dry place out of the sun and light and where they get air circulation as I don't like storing them in plastic enclosed cases. I do not have a local supplier so I do have to order which might take a while if I run out in the middle of a quilt, so I always check how much I have before I start quilting.