Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Machine quilting and skipped stitches >

Machine quilting and skipped stitches

Machine quilting and skipped stitches

Old 02-03-2020, 08:59 AM

Default Machine quilting and skipped stitches

Does anyone else have skipped stitches when either machine quilting or embroidery and basting sprays? I have a horrible time with skipped stitches when using basting sprays. I have changed needles multiple times when this happens but find I have to go over the same spot again and again. This does not happen when not using basting sprays. Any suggestions? I really need to use one in my quilting and embroidery. Thanks, Rosalie
Old 02-03-2020, 09:42 AM

I don't seem to have any problem with my basting spray (505). Maybe just lightly spray would help, doesn't take a whole lot. Good luck finding a solution.What kind spray do you use?
Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by sash View Post
I don't seem to have any problem with my basting spray (505). Maybe just lightly spray would help, doesn't take a whole lot. Good luck finding a solution.What kind spray do you use?

I used 505 when I could get it. Now the only spray available in my area (out in the country) is Spray & Bond. Maybe I will try to order it through Walmart and have it delivered to the store for pick up. I will give 505 a try again. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:22 AM

I find that some basting sprays gunk up the needle as well as the bobbin casing. I am working on one of my machines just this morning that has this problem. the gunk messes with the timing. I put the machine I was working on away just a few minutes ago and decided it was time to take it into the shop. I have started using Elmer's washable School glue. I get a much better hold and no gunking up.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Try rubbing the needle with a tiny bit of machine oil once in a while. Just put a drop between your fingers, rub them together, wipe off any excess with a tissue and run your finger along the needle. It’s not enough to mark the fabric but it will keep the needle slick to go through the sandwich.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

do you spray and then quilt right away or let it dry awhile first. i usually wait a day.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:54 AM

It may have been the "brand" that you used causing issues.

I use this one for machine embroidery. No issues with it and a light spray keeps everything together.

https://www.sulky.com/item/sulky-kk2...ive-42-oz-120g

I have also used a washable glue stick to hold stabilizers and fabrics together for machine embroidery.

Did you try a "non stick" needle?

Old 02-04-2020, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by sarose48 View Post
Does anyone else have skipped stitches when either machine quilting or embroidery and basting sprays? I have a horrible time with skipped stitches when using basting sprays. I have changed needles multiple times when this happens but find I have to go over the same spot again and again. This does not happen when not using basting sprays. Any suggestions? I really need to use one in my quilting and embroidery. Thanks, Rosalie
when I use spray, I keep a q-tip damp with alcohol to rub the needle occasionally. I agree on using the sulky spray ..seem to have less trouble with that one. Or 505 spray. The one I used last..Sullivan's..left more gunk on needle.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:04 PM

Thanks everyone. I have ordered some 505 spray and we will see how that goes. I will also use the other tips and tricks you all offered. Rosalie
Old 10-02-2020, 02:19 AM

Sometimes heavy spray baste can cause this issue. Since you have changed the needles, it shouldn't be causing any issue. Try cleaning the bobbin case and lighter thread version.