Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New and needing some help

New and needing some help

Hi
    I have an older Brother PE150 embroidery machine and am new to using it. I have stitched few out but there are somethings I am just very unsure of still. My biggest issue is deciding what type of stabilizer to use. Not wash away vs tear away but more of weight/thickness in comparison to the fabric being used. I was once told to use a stabilizer that was the same weight at the fabric but it seems to me if I have a light weight fabric and use a light weight stabilizer then I will get puckers. So any help in that are would be greatly appreciated.

I will post a picture of a recent project as soon as I figure out how, lol.

Thanks.

When I have problems determining which to use with what, I turn to Embroidery Library....they have a lot of how to's and basic information that I have found very helpful.
    Here is a link to that page.....
    https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/ELProj...ory=Fabrics101

Lots of factors play into the stabilizing process. It can be hit or miss avoiding puckers. I like to add a light weight fusible to the background fabric and sometimes the applique fabric too.

Hooping techniques can cause puckers too. It can cause problems too. I use the link above for reference quite often.

Third voice chiming in for https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/ELProj...ory=Fabrics101. Have fun with the old machine but be warned. Many find the embroidery addictive.

you can also slip a second layer of stabilizer under the hoop if you see it start to pucker. I was just at a store and the lady said to always use two layers of stabilizer. I've only been using one and haven't had problems, I only embroider on cotton quilt fabric so far.

I did buy some stabilizer from that lady, and after using it I can see why she'd say to use two layers. I don't think I'll be buying that brand again.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I have used dryer sheets & worked well. Hoop is 4 x 4... One day I like to upgrade.... Oh I go around edges with basting stitch to keep in place..
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Thanks everyone for the replies, but I'm still wondering if there is a "rule or thumb" for deciding what type of stabilizer to use, and yes if more layers are needed.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I mostly just use A4 copy paper, and like to stitch around the boundary to hold fabric in place. Have had no problems with this method, and the paper will wash out easily if you soak the finished embroidery overnight. I even use a nail brush on the straggly bits on the back.

Some will be horrified to see this, but it works for me.

there are websites that can help you decide. I know floriani has one. I bought several "sample" assortments of stabilizer, and am finding that I'm most interested in doing quilt blocks so I'm mostly needing a medium weight tear away.

https://www.rnkdistributing.com/reso...Stabilizer.pdf

You don't have to buy their product, but it helps to learn what products work better for different fabrics and designs. I'm really looking forward to doing some cutwork and lace.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

More good information, thank you all.

If you know craftsy.com and there classes under embroidery section there is a class that is very good called stabilizer Saavy I'd wait for class sales if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
    If you know craftsy.com and there classes under embroidery section there is a class that is very good called stabilizer Saavy I'd wait for class sales if interested.
    Thank you, I will check into that class.

Blog Entries
    You have to consider the density of the design. The higher density ( more stitches) will need better stabilizers. Also can the stabilizer come out or can you leave it in, WSS vs tear away or cut away, etc. rnkdistributing.com has a stabilizer work book that might help. Check out the you tube videos on stabilizers to also help see what all is available to you. Sometimes you need to double up the sheets. Also make sure you don't stretch the fabric. Most designs sites have information on this. embroidery library for one has lots of tutorials on this. Plus Brother has some.
    Judy

Thank you romanojg (Judy).

The class on Craftsy is very good...have seen it. But rule of thumb is...Stretchy fabrics...cut away, Cotton...tear away....towels...water soluble on top and tear away bottom...sweatshirts/t shirts also water soluble on top using ball point needle and cut away bottom.
    there's a good book called "Embroidery Essentials" that tells you everything you need to know abt hooping, lining up and stabilizer to use, can find it on Amazon second hand. Sometimes it calls for two layers...all depending on the density of stitches being stitched out...
    Also ck out youtubes...I just watched one yesterday under "sewing mastery Husqvarna epic.
    there I think on page 3 of her 96 videos re:epic she talks and shows stablizers and when to use what...I am watching all the videos since I just treated myself to the"Epic"...Yes once you start you get addicted and upgrades will be in your future...I went from a machine that only did 4x4's to the Husq SE which I still have and use but last wk upgraded to Epic for the larger hoops and wifi capability.
    Last edited by hobbykat1955; 02-27-2019 at 05:01 AM.