Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sticky Stabilizer

Blog Entries

Sticky Stabilizer

Years [and years] ago, I had a roll of sticky stabilizer... hoop it and use a pin to score the paper. then stick the thick item [i was doing towels] to it as they were too thick to hoop. it was also helpful if you wanted to avoid hoop marks. I'm sure this is still available somewhere, but at a price I probably won't like.

I recently read a tip... the person said they use contact paper in its place. Has anyone tried this? I just can't picture embroidering through the 'plastic'. It does seem like a less expensive alternative to stick my quilt to instead of trying to hoop it.

Thoughts?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

This is the brand I generally use.

https://redrockthreads.com/floriani/...SAAEgIS2vD_BwE

I don't know how easy contact paper would be to tear off the project or what the glue residue does to the needle.

You can glue two pieces of cut-away stabilizer or fuse Pellon 809 Decor Bond together. Cut a window to the project size (about 1 inch larger). Cut a piece of sticky back and cut out the backing. Again a little larger than the project. Stick the project onto the sticky stabilizer and stitch design.

The cut-away window can be saved for the next project.

I can't quite imagine sewing thru contact paper, but I've never tried it so who knows?

I did find Sticky on Amazon. Apparently, it's still around https://www.amazon.com/Sulky-551-12-...cky+stabilizer
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    you won't like the price of any brand of sticky stabilizer.

pellon makes a sticky wash-away.
    i think - but cannot guarantee - that its price is the least horrific. (still more than $6 per yard.)
    it should work well for anything except free-standing applique such as patches or labels.
    i tried it for that and my embroidery foot did not like it.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Please don't use contact paper. I can't imagine anything but a big mess on your needle and on the back of a quilt. Much better(well maybe not for your wallet) to stick to products made for machine embroidery. I have the same feelings towards using coffee filters or dryer sheets as stabilizer or saran wrap as a topper. Sticky stabilizer is available most anywhere that sells embroidery supplies.

Cari

As much money as I have invested in my embroidery machines, I don't want to jeopardize my machine using something not designed for it.

I love the sticky stabilizer. I started using it for signature quilt blocks. It makes the fabric stiff and very easy for people to write on, and then I can remove it and have no additional stiffness to the fabric to sew into the quilt. I bought it for that purpose and have not used it for any embroidery at this point.

I use the Floriani product and my local sewing dealer carries it, so I got it at a good price.
    Last edited by Macybaby; 12-06-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.