Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Thread tails on quilt back >

Thread tails on quilt back

Thread tails on quilt back

Old 06-18-2020, 09:31 AM

Default Thread tails on quilt back

Hello to all,
I'm finally beginning the machine embroidery on a quilt that just didn't want to be finished. I've kept it simple, not changing the pattern at all. At the beginning of the pattern I pull up the bobbin thread, there are a few securing stitches made, and I clip off the top and bobbin threads. At the end of the pattern there are also some securing stitches, then the machine pulls the top thread to the back and then clips both threads; it leaves tails about 3/4" long. Is it safe to trim these threads? I've seen some mentions that "you don't want to do that," but I don't know why if there are some securing threads in place. All info gratefully accepted...thanks!
Old 06-18-2020, 11:40 AM

Are you embroidering on fabric to make a quilt block, or using the embroidery as quilting? Might be different answers for each one. Of you are using the embroidery as quilting, you might take a needle, thread it with those tails, and bury them in the batting. If on a block, and they show through the background fabric, I'd clip them shorter.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:53 PM

I try to position the quilt so the end threads are on the edges. They are trimmed off later. I design the stippling so it travels a few stitches off the quilt and onto the batting/backing.The bobbin threads are pulled up at the beginning. I leave them long and bury them in the quilt later.

You may want to stop the machine a few stitches before the end of design. Then needle down/up to pull the bobbin thread so you can bury it. You may be able to adjust the cut length of the thread tails or turn that option off on your machine.

I have trimmed the end threads on the back. These are wall hangings or small projects.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:20 PM
Administrator

i usually just leave them.
it's the back.

for a very important quilt i will dab a little bit of fabric glue and then trim them.
the glue is probably not necessary. it just makes me feel better.
so far, the best glue i've found (and i have tested several brands) is Aleene's Fabric Fusion.
it dries clear; does not darken the fabric or turn shiny; and does not wash out. i tested it by gluing down a whole patch of fabric. it sailed through washing and dryer.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:34 AM

I tend to trim them off even though I know they will not be seen. The reason is simple, to me anyway. The little tails can make their way through to the top and they would then need to be trimmed off. I am more aware of it with longer tails.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:08 PM

If you're using the design to quilt through all the quilt layers and using a commercially designed quilting embroidery Clip the threads. Sounds like the knots are built in. If you're insecure about this use a tiny dab of fray check applied with a tooth pick.