Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Which Thread to use? >

Which Thread to use?

Which Thread to use?

Old 04-01-2022, 06:53 AM

Default Which Thread to use?

I may have two questions here.
I used Sulky exclusively for all embroidery. It was at JoAnns and was available on sale and plentiful. Now it seems that I cannot find it anywhere. I have tried some thread from the local sewing store. My machine liked one brand and did not like the other. I also have just the one needle machines, how does one use the large hole cones? Do I use a thread stand? It was suggested to use a "cup".
Thank you for all your help.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:30 AM

A thread stand is the best solution to using the larger cones of thread. The only time I ever used a cup was when I used metallic thread. It allowed the thread to be further from the machine and didn't twist as bad before going through the tension disks.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by EarleBuh View Post
<<clipped>>
Spam reported

Old 04-05-2022, 07:16 AM

I have always used Madeira Polyneon and love it. I have every color. I do have random spools of other brands and they are fine also. I personally never buy Sulky but that is my preference. I had sample spools and didn't like them at all. I'm sure it depends on your machine. I have a Diamond and an Epic HV. I did use a thread spool stand on my diamond and loved it, but on my Epic, I just stand the large spool upright on the spool holder and have never had a problem. Good luck!
Old 04-07-2022, 04:54 AM

If you want to know everything about thread and needles go to superiorthreads.com. Then click on education,then click on educational videos, then click on THREAD THERAPY WITH DR. BOB. Then click the topic you need. He shows you how to place your different wound threads horizontally or vertically and why. Great list of short programs he has produced on evething we need to know about thread and needles for our machines. I sat and binged watched them all. I learned alot.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 04-07-2022 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:14 AM

You can buy Sulky online and I believe my Joann's carries it.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:05 AM

I did not have much luck with sulky. I used to use RA (Robinson Anton) rayon thread for most of my embroidery and RA polyester for things that would be washed a lot. There are a number of threads out there that work well. I have also used Mettler metrosene (Poly) which as a matte finish. The RA rayon has a very lustrous finish. Then I have used Aurafil cotton for redwork and even YLI soft touch for free standing lace snowflakes. There are a lot of threads that can be used beside Sulky. Other ones used by a lot of folks are Isacord and Mediera . Also a lot of newer ones. I have not done much emboridery by machine for several years.