Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
What is the most popular quilt pattern? >

What is the most popular quilt pattern?

What is the most popular quilt pattern?

Old 03-16-2022, 05:44 AM

To me, the simple checkerboard pattern is what I use when I want simple and fast.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:09 AM

I always think of a Log Cabin when I think of simple quilts to start with. I have done a number of them over the years. After that and Irish Chain.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:15 AM

I agree with y'all. I think the log cabin is what most people think of when they think if a quilt pattern. It's not an easy quilt to make, but there are lots of variations. The easiest one I made was out of jelly rolls which made a really large block.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by melissalevi View Post
I want to start with some of the easiest quilt.
If you want to start with a VERY easy pattern, try a subway tile. Larger blocks and no corners to match.
Attached Thumbnails subway-tile.jpg  
Old 03-17-2022, 08:34 AM

The Log Cabin is so versatile, and it can be laid out in so many different patterns. I love it.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:17 PM

A plain old 4 patch alternated with a solid block is also a very good beginner pattern as you get to learn a lot f the basics such as matching seams, 1/4 inch seam, pressing. I started out making plain old four patch! 11 Four Patch Quilt Patterns | FaveQuilts.com Here is one link when I googled "four patch quilt patterns"
Old 03-17-2022, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
If you want to start with a VERY easy pattern, try a subway tile. Larger blocks and no corners to match.
I love subway tile and agree it would be a excellent pattern to start on. Matching corners is really hard when you're starting. This gives you a chance to play with color and be successful without feeling pressured to make all the corners match.
Old 03-18-2022, 02:15 AM

Rail Fence or Fence Rail is another very easy beginner pattern. It is the first quilt I made in a beginner quilting class. It also includes the basic needed skills, cutting, quarter inch seams, strip piecing, layout, pressing, etc. I had to cut my pieces from yardage, but using a jelly roll makes it even easier. IMHO the fence rail is a much easier block than a log cabin.
Murphy

Old 05-01-2022, 09:36 AM

Log cabin!!! When I teach quilting, I have them make a log cabin because no matter whatever problem they have, I can show them how to fix it.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:14 AM

The original question was what the most popular. So my two cents goes to the massive number of crumb quilts I am seeing. Good pattern to start your quilting journey is.............four patch but like the others that were mentioned too. By just shifting colors, prints, solids you can turn any traditional pattern into modern. Or just "explode" the one block to make it bigger. Have fun! Each block you choose, pattern you choose and color pallet you choose will teach you new skills, melissalevi.