Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Playing With Boston Blocks" an e-book by Rhonda >

"Playing With Boston Blocks" an e-book by Rhonda

"Playing With Boston Blocks" an e-book by Rhonda

Old 04-21-2009, 05:39 PM

Ordered it....interesting method. It took about 1 second to download with high speed. Very easy to read and understand. Playing with it I found a way to have a lot less waste.
Connie
Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Connie1948
Ordered it....interesting method. It took about 1 second to download with high speed. Very easy to read and understand. Playing with it I found a way to have a lot less waste.
Connie
I would love to hear your way of less waste!! I know that is the biggest thing that bothers people when they see what I do.

My friend Dorothy does most of my "Blocks" for me and she and I differ on how we do this. She cuts a square or rectangle just big enough for what she will need and cuts out and recycles if it is still big enough to pass on to the next size down (1 1/4" or 1") and I like to have larger pieces to work with. My rationale is that I only have to sort that fabric once to get several more out of the same fabric swatches and I just pull apart the leftovers and trim to make another from the leftovers.

I think a little waste is worth the savings in time and effort saved. But I also make smaller blocks out of some of the leftovers.

It is all in how you want to look at it! I like to have scraps in reserve because when I need one or two more navys to add to a project then the scraps are my resource to find a navy I haven't used yet. I might find a remnant of an old favorite. But I do a lot of scrappy and I am always trying to use a fabric just once in a project. I need 8 differant swatches to do most of the projects I make. That makes a differance in what I look for.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 AM

Rhonda,

Very interesting technique. Just a little concerned about the excess, but I think I might be over estimating what would be wasted and will follow your friend Dorothy's techniques.

I was so surprised that all of those different quilt blocks can be created with just the two "blocks". Your instructions and illustrations are clear and easily understandable. It really helps this newbie.

Thanks, Maribeth

Old 04-25-2009, 07:44 PM

I played in my scraps tonight and made my first trial block using Boston Blocks. Well, the designs didn't turn out like I want the finished project to be. But the method is pretty simple.

As for the waste - I cut triangles from the scraps, and it wasn't bad. If I were using total scraps, it wouldn't even bother me to waste a bit. But these large triangle shapes worked great.

The cool thing is that the seam size within each block didn't make a difference because the block was cut to shape after it was sewn. That made the block more accurate in my opinion.

The instuctions were easy to read. I seemed to struggle a bit to get all the colors on my first trial, but now I think that the rest of the blocks will go much better.

I'm really jived up to make MORE!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27933.jpe  
Old 04-26-2009, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by saravincent
I played in my scraps tonight and made my first trial block using Boston Blocks. Well, the designs didn't turn out like I want the finished project to be. But the method is pretty simple.

As for the waste - I cut triangles from the scraps, and it wasn't bad. If I were using total scraps, it wouldn't even bother me to waste a bit. But these large triangle shapes worked great.

The cool thing is that the seam size within each block didn't make a difference because the block was cut to shape after it was sewn. That made the block more accurate in my opinion.

The instuctions were easy to read. I seemed to struggle a bit to get all the colors on my first trial, but now I think that the rest of the blocks will go much better.

Love it Sara I think I am going to get a tutorial by you all about using other color combinations. I tend to stick to the dark and light combo and don't find it easy to change!!
I am glad you have enjoyed the process and look forward to seeing more!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Love the black and white and all the shades in between!!!! There are so many scraps floating around in my house and I am not concerned about waste because my scraps basically become a storage problem and it would be wonderful to have them put to good use. I did purchase the e-book and have found it very easy to understand. I am planning to get into the sewing room for a few minutes before I have to get to bed for an early a.m. school day.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nana2
Love the black and white and all the shades in between!!!! There are so many scraps floating around in my house and I am not concerned about waste because my scraps basically become a storage problem and it would be wonderful to have them put to good use. I did purchase the e-book and have found it very easy to understand. I am planning to get into the sewing room for a few minutes before I have to get to bed for an early a.m. school day.
Yeah I had scraps "floating" around my house this morning literally!! I have an autistic grandson Zach who is 8. Autistic kids get obsessions about things and can'tlet them go. One of Zach's used to be throwing anything he could get ahold of into the air. Until he turned 4 and finally learned to talk did we find out why he did this.
It is because he was making it rain. With dirt from a flower pot or water from a glass or anything he could get. I thought he had outgrown this but this morning he found a box of scraps and made weather happen!!! All over my livingroom!!!
I had scraps everywhere!! In his shoes on my couch and chair and all over the floor!!!
He and his sister got into a big plastic tub of scraps a couple of years ago and I was finding scraps for months after!! But they had fun!! until I stopped them!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by saravincent

The instuctions were easy to read. I seemed to struggle a bit to get all the colors on my first trial, but now I think that the rest of the blocks will go much better

You did a great job! I hope I can do as well when I get started. Dixie in Alabama
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 PM

I just ordered it, took about 1 second here too. Looks like I am going to have to hide my scraps from my kids now. (the little ones like to "collect" them and carry them around in doll suitcases)
Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mamabird3
I just ordered it, took about 1 second here too. Looks like I am going to have to hide my scraps from my kids now. (the little ones like to "collect" them and carry them around in doll suitcases)
Thanks Mamabird3 for the order! I hope you enjoy it!! Any questions just ask! Sorry to deprive the kids!! My grandson thinks it is fun to get into my scraps and throw them into the air making it rain scraps!