Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilting Gloves"-Are they worth it?? >

"Quilting Gloves"-Are they worth it??

"Quilting Gloves"-Are they worth it??

Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 AM

I use Machingers whenever I do FMQ. I wouldn't be without them ~ makes holding the quilt straight and even so much easier.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by QM
I really hate wearing gloves. Yes, I have tried both "quilting gloves" and the plain old dotten gardening gloves. They drive me crazy, making my feel as though my hands have gotten fat and unresponsive. Most of the members of my guild have them and love them. I think it's an individual thing. I have also tried the finger tip thingies and small fip flops. I liked them the best, but I still prefer bare hands.
Ditto. Gloves on my hands drive me crazy.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 AM

I bought a pair from Nancy's Notions without the fingers & except for the color, I love them! I have arthritis & they really help. Plus it's so much easier to do the free motion with them. I have much better control of the quilt. Yes, I vote VERY worth it & I've only been quilting about a year and a half!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:32 AM

Tues. Morning & Wal Mart have nitrle gardening gloves. I use those when it is cool. My favorite is no gloves. I use Mr. Clean cleaning sponges as if they were a quilting angel. My hands lay flat on top the sponges. The foam texture of the sponge sticks to the quilt and I can guide it without gripping, same as with gloves but I don't have to wear gloves. I do not like the feel of gloves.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:33 AM

When free motion quilting, I use Machingers Quilting Gloves. I even have a second pair in case the pair I'm using wears out because I never want to be without these gloves when doing FMQ. I do not use gloves when I am using the walking foot to stitch in the ditch.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:38 AM

I find the little tiny mats that you put under glasses to stop them slipping (the ones with the little holes in them) work better than gloves or machingers.The gloves make my hands sweat and peel and the machingers fall off.However, the little mats can be repositioned easily and I don't have the inconvenience of having to take the gloves off and on to thread needles etc.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I occassionally forget to use my Machingers and wonder why I can't move the quilt under the foot! THEY ARE ESSENTIAL! I tried several brands, plus cheap things like finger cots, but the Machingers are IT. You can even thread a needle wearing them. They're not expensive, but so so so valuable for good quilting. INVEST! Machingers
couldn't have said it better myself. I use them alot and even when binding the quilt sometimes. u have to get some. i think mine were $8 and I've used them a million times and they are still going strong :)
Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 AM

I use mine all the time when FMQing ... They really help with controlling the movement of the fabric. Mine are Fons & Porter. Got mine at Hobby Lobby with my 40% coupon! I've tried it both ways, and much prefer it WITH the gloves! Well worth the investment in my opinion!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Love my gloves, but don't know who makes them. Don't quilt without them. So much easier.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 AM

I would say Yes they are well worth it. I have tried the rubber thingys on the finger tips, the stuff in the little box that makes the ends of your fingers "sticky" I have tried the rubber shelf lining on the palms of my hands. I have tried garden gloves, and Fons and Porter gloves. After seeing people on here talk about the machingers I bought a pair on sale. By far the best. The only complaint I have is the wrist unraveled a little. Wouldn't try to machine quilt without them