Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$1000 machine isn't good? >

$1000 machine isn't good?

$1000 machine isn't good?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 AM

Sad how sales people try to sell you more than you want to pay these days. But, yes, $4000 would get you one awesome machine!! BUT NO, if it's not in your budget right now, don't try to sell me something I'm not ready to buy.

I bought a Babylock Quilter's Choice that had a lot of nice bells and whistles and paid $900 about 6 years ago (so the price should be a little less now). But I did notice it didn't sew through the humps or real thicknesses very well but it did work great for 99% of my quilting needs.

I moved up to the Babylock Esante after sewing at this machine and felt it had more power. It actually had a larger motor than my Quilter's Choice....so I bought that one. It includes an embroidery module so the price was $3800.

Babylock has great machines in a variety of price ranges with their Symphony (latest machine) being their "go to" quilting machine. It's price is around $1800.

I know a lot of people rave about one of the Janome's quilting machine so just check around before you buy. I actually have a very inexpensive Janome (under $250) that I bought for classes and it's a great little machine.

Bottomline, you can get a good machine for under $1000 as long as you do your homework and try them out to see if they do what you need them to do. It's going to be your machine. Have fun !!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM

I started out my first machine my grand mother gave me it was a Sears nice little compact light weight sewing machine they retailed at that time for 119.00 and were on Sale for 79.00. Great little machine for some one that didn't sew much well I had the fun of sewing till it broke a needle I am thank-full I never put my eye out with it since they would break and then hit me in the face. So the first machine I bought was a Pfaff and at that time it sold for $1000.00 dollars. I loved that machine and have sewn it to death after 33 years of hard use. Buying the best machine that you can afford is a good idea but you have already gone through 3 machines so getting one that will last and do all that you require is a must. Gently used machines are a great way to get a better machine with out having to break your bank. Think what you would really like and make a list of features and benefits then you will be more educated for what you really need. I still am dreaming of a Bernina 830 with all the bells and whistles and will probably keep dreaming but who knows maybe one day I will have one till then I keep at least 3 machines busy all the time. A serger by baby lock, a pfaff 7570 and a Singer 301. Good luck shopping and hope you find a great deal.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:40 PM

i spent about $800 for my pfaff expressions and it does a great job...it doesnt groan and i love it...i even got store to throw in a free plexi glass extension table...i think $4000 for a domestic is way too much..
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM

I have a Brother, Project Runway from a dealer, not the WalMart version. It sews through 12 layers of folded in half denim. I never have a problem with Prarie points or anything else. My Singer Featherweight us also good but the new Singers arent that good. Bernina, BabyLock, and Janome are all good and some of the dealers sell rebuilt machines that are very good.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The Singer 201 is ***the*** vintage Singer to have for quilting! It's a workhorse of a machine and highly desirable among collectors and quilters. Parts are still available for it, and it's an easy machine to maintain and repair. Lucky you!!!
I agree. I have a 201 and 401 that I love, they sew through anything with no complaints. I would use yours.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Everyone here has given you plenty of great advice so I will put in my 2 cents worth. I bought a used bernina with embroidery which I have never used and the salesman talked me into. Now being wiser and with more quilting under my belt I would buy a Juki or Brother straight stitch only machine and then further down the track I would buy a machine with other features if I needed it. That way you would always have a back up machine if one or the other was in for servicing. I find that having a workhorse is essential as my bernina does not like sewing over thick seams and invariably you end up hemming jeans etc or using heavier fabric for quilting or having multiple seams to sew over. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM

For that kind of money you should get everything plus. I know when I went shopping for a new machine that price was important and money very tight. To make a long story short after lotz of searching I settled for the Brother CS 6000i and absolutely love love love it. The only problems I have incountered with it was due to my own error and not the machine itself. Happy shopping.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM

I agree that a vintage machine is your way to go. My Huskvarna does not like thick seams; my Singer 401A will take anything on. My singer is 54 years old and has been in hospital only once (just recently). She sews like a tank with nice, even stitches. She is also all metal. You can find them for $200-400. Good luck in your search and check out your own older machine.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The Singer 201 is ***the*** vintage Singer to have for quilting! It's a workhorse of a machine and highly desirable among collectors and quilters. Parts are still available for it, and it's an easy machine to maintain and repair. Lucky you!!!

I agree with this. You just can't beat the older machines!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:43 PM

You should be more than able to find a machine in your price range. Just make sure that you buy from someone that is local for your yearly service and support.