Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$3 for fat quarter ? >

$3 for fat quarter ?

$3 for fat quarter ?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:42 AM

Sounds like greed to me!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

My favorite LGS has raised their FQ prices to $3 also. And if you ask for a 1/4 yd off the bolt and they cut you a FQ (they ask if you want it in a FQ) then you pay FQ price (even if the bolt price is cheaper). Also they cut FQs from new bolts - it's not the old stuff.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by rwillig
Originally Posted by quilt3311
You have to sell a lot of fq to make the rent on the shop. We do have to realize that there is huge expense in just having a business. Rent, utilities, advertising, cost of fabric and notions help etc. etc. Unless you have actually run a business you do not realize how much it costs the shop to even be in business. then of course you have taxes, insurance--oh I get hives just thinking about it.
All this plus their costs have increased a lot. And if they stock thread, its not just one spool its a box of probably 8 - 12. So if a customer buys one spool and the rest sit on the shelf--cost is still there, but its a long way to profit.
Now a really good shop will run classes and specials etc to bring people in. Offer machine quilting (of course that machine cost a bundle too)
I feel for the shop owners. I realize its sticker shock when prices go up, but if we want a shop to go to, we have to realize it does cost lots to just keep the doors open.
Hope I haven't stepped on any toes here, but I have a friend who does own a shop and we have had many conversations about customers who think she is ripping them off, but all she is doing is trying to keep the shop there for us. Lets face it, I would not work for the $$$ per hour that she does.
My local qs is just barely hanging in there. but we are rural so when people are squeezed for cash the first thing they have to cut out are the extras. I am hoping she can pull through and make it but unfortunately she is so worried about her customers, that she is pricing herself right out of business!
I pray for your LQS and hope for the best.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:01 AM

In America you might complain about paying $3 for a fat quarter. In the UK we have to pay £2.50 for same which works out at about $3.90
Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
You are paying for all the heavy, intensive, labor and equipment involved in cutting one quarter yard of fabric.

See those ladies sprawled in chairs at the back of the shop, sweating, drinking Gatorade, and panting - they just cut a fat quarter for you.
baaahhhhhhh this is awesome! I am picturing the ladies sitting in the back fanning themselves out of exhaustion! thanks for the laugh i needed that LOL
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
FQ's here are $3.25 now. Batik yardage is still under $11, prints between $9 and $10.

I don't blame the shops one little bit, and if they can get that much for a FQ, more power to them...especially if it means they can keep the price of yardage lower by even 25¢ or so. It's really no different than buying one can of Coke for 75¢ vs. a 12 pack for $3.99.
very good point!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 AM

I paid $3.00 for one of the new fabric lines only because she didn't have the color in yardage. I have fallen in love with the Stone Hedge fabric. I bought a Christmas Wallhanging and the backing a few weeks ago and I'm really anxious to get it made but normally I don't pay that much. $2.25 is about my limit for fat quarters.
Originally Posted by ritamaew
I went to a LQS for a sale and found that all fat quarters that have been precut are $3. Now that computes to $12 a yard. Most fabric in this shop is $9.50. And many fat quarters were from older ie cheaper fabric. I am wondering is this typical or this shop taking advantage of customers?

Rita
Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 AM

I would probably buy the half yard and have 2 fat quarters.
One for me and one for my quilting buddy or one to set aside for a quick quilty gift.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 AM

yup 3.25 up to olmost 5 is whay ive seen some places im very fortunate to have a Lqs that has a large selection off fat quartes for $2 each its a realy good deel since that makes them cheaper than most off the yardage that runs from $11 to $13 so farfor new fabric $7 or $8 for clearance.
Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
I hate to tell you but that is normal in Canada. if not a little on the low side. Cotton is about $15\meter.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:24 AM

I found that the fat squares are made out of bolt end left over fabrics. I can cut a lot of fat squares for $12.50 a yard.