Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$70,000 quilt >

$70,000 quilt

$70,000 quilt

Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 AM

Wow, that quilt is gorgeous. I too would have had a hard time selling it, but this woman sounds like she is a very grounded person & doesn't take life too seriously. I bet she would be a hoot to spend some time with!

As to the perception of wealthy people, I read an interesting article the other day. It said the main difference between us & the super rich (other than the size of the bank balance) is that the super rich live & breathe money 24/7. They constantly check the stock market, etc. Maybe if I had a lot of money I would feel differently, but to me that just doesn't seem like living! I don't want to be so obsessive that I miss the enjoyment of life. Of course this might have been just the opinion of the person who wrote the article too.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 AM

If you think about it, this was a serendipitous happening for this artist. This lady is rich and was taking lessons from her. She sees the quilt and hears the comments and falls in love. And I do believe having money makes it easier to buy what you want, if you can get it. She wanted it, so she bought it. Maybe we aren't so lucky in the $$$ department. Or our priotities are different.
(Did you think this quilt looked small?) It has lovely work in it and I applaud the artist who put that price tag on it. I'll bet you lots of people were talking about it!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 AM

that is a beautiful quilt. i spent 5 years working on a cathedral window quilt off and on alot doing it in the potholder size. how much could i get for that you reckon?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I read an article about being wealthy. To simplify it, spending $10 by the average consumer is the same as spending $100 to the well off, $1,000 to the wealthy, and $10,000 to the super rich. The Bill Gates of the world, it would be like spending $70 for the quilt.
Interesting ! It's all relevant :mrgreen:
This is absolutely STUNNING – That is definitely a WORK OF ART!!! I looked at the pics on the link & a crazy quilt isn’t one I’ve ever longed to make, but I CERTAINLY admire the work that goes into them. If this one took a few years for her, I don’t think I could live long enough to do all those beautiful stitches she put into it.

You’re right Sue – it’s all relevant - I've seen some "art" I wouldn't pay much for – I remember several years ago over-hearing some ladies at a quilt show talking about a white on white I had made – (w/VERY DENSE HAND quilting making up the design – that had won 1st place)

“#1 – That is beautiful – how much do you think it would sell for?
#2 – I’m sure in the hundreds of dollars.
#1 – NO WAY! (very adamant) No quilt is worth several hundred $ - that’s just one solid piece of material w/some “sewing” on it.
#2 – But I’m sure it took A LOT of hours to “sew” all those stitches by hand.” :lol:

A friend w/me at the time stepped up & said “I would give her $1000 for it – needless to say the women thought she was crazy. (It was for my daughter & I wouldn’t have sold it anyway - the friend had the $ & did want to buy it)

Obviously you have to have an appreciation & understanding of quilting. Others 'collect or admire' things I don't understand how they can spend $$'s on, so it's all in what your taste is I guess.

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 AM

What a beautiful quilt. Amazing. Well worth it
Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 AM

I swear, this is the smartest group of woman. You can answer any question asked :)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM

My responses aren't showing up...

I love this quilt!!!!!!
Finally, people are appreciating crazy quilts!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM

on wealth,
read the Book: Millionaire Next Door...we think they just spend their money, truth is they are rich, because they are more thrifty with their money than most ordinary folks!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM

on wealth,
read the Book: Millionaire Next Door...we think they just spend their money, truth is they are rich, because they are more thrifty with their money than most ordinary folks!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM

sorry about the duplication....send button wasn't working!!!