Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" Foot Question >

1/4" Foot Question

1/4" Foot Question

Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

It also makes a difference where/how one places one's ruler while cutting.

The Quilter's Rule- the one with the raised ridges on the bottom - has wide lines, for example.

I think it's a good idea to do a test sewing - I cut three strips of material approximately six inches long - using my version of a two-inch wide strip - and using my version of a quarter-inch seam.

Press the seams the way you want to. Then measure the width of the sewn together strips. It "should" be five inches.

If it's more or less, then one needs to do some adjusting - change the ruler one uses, change the placement of the ruler - change the width of the seam - etc.

I've gotten comfortable with the way I cut and the way I sew.

We did a group sewing once - everyone was supposed to bring in a bunch of 1.5-inch strips, and then we all were going to sew four strips together using 1/4 inch seams. Then the strips were supposed to be pressed and then cut into 4.5 inch squares. Funny thing. The widths of the sewn together strips varied from 4.0 to about 4.625 inches.

It turned out that part of the problem was in the pressing - the seams weren't pressed completely open - there were little pleats left at the seam lines -
Pressing is also part of the equation.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

It is true, the difference in rulers, how we "see" the cutting lines, and our 1/4" seams can make group projects interesting :D:D:D
Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
It is true, the difference in rulers, how we "see" the cutting lines, and our 1/4" seams can make group projects interesting :D:D:D
Actually, it drives me slightly crazy.

I do better playing "beside" than "with" in some of these situations.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
It also makes a difference where/how one places one's ruler while cutting.

The Quilter's Rule- the one with the raised ridges on the bottom - has wide lines, for example.

I think it's a good idea to do a test sewing - I cut three strips of material approximately six inches long - using my version of a two-inch wide strip - and using my version of a quarter-inch seam.

Press the seams the way you want to. Then measure the width of the sewn together strips. It "should" be five inches.

If it's more or less, then one needs to do some adjusting - change the ruler one uses, change the placement of the ruler - change the width of the seam - etc.

I've gotten comfortable with the way I cut and the way I sew.

We did a group sewing once - everyone was supposed to bring in a bunch of 1.5-inch strips, and then we all were going to sew four strips together using 1/4 inch seams. Then the strips were supposed to be pressed and then cut into 4.5 inch squares. Funny thing. The widths of the sewn together strips varied from 4.0 to about 4.625 inches.

It turned out that part of the problem was in the pressing - the seams weren't pressed completely open - there were little pleats left at the seam lines -
Pressing is also part of the equation.
Oh! That was my problem. After 12 yrs of quilting I took an intermediate piecing class & the teacher lectured me because I was too careful in my pressing. Once I started being a bit more aggressive, my pieces started turning out the exact size. What an eye opener that was for me!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:11 PM

I get the best information from all of you! I knew my needle postion moved, I just never thought about it in conjuction with my 1/4" foot. I now have the perfect 1/4" seam ever!!!!!

Thank you!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by calicocat
I get the best information from all of you! I knew my needle postion moved, I just never thought about it in conjuction with my 1/4" foot. I now have the perfect 1/4" seam ever!!!!!

Thank you!
That is such a great feeling! Yippee, skippee! :-)
Old 12-12-2009, 06:00 PM

My 1/4 inch foot on my Bernia is pretty much useless on my machine. There is no needle position that will give me an exact 1/4 inch with that foot.. I move my needle over and use my #1 foot to get the 1/4 inch. One good thing about having to do this is that I never have to remember to change the foot if I want to use the zig zag stitch.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 AM

I have the Viking Shappire with a 1/4 inch setting but I still have to move the needle over so I get a scant 1/4 inch or my blocks come out too small.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

One 1/4" foot I have, the needle hole is too small to bump my needle over to get a 1/4" seam... I am going to have DB bore it out more. He is also going to make my clear darning foot an "opened toed" one for me... :D:D:D
Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 AM

You can move the needle over????