Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" Shrinkage After Starching!!! >

1/4" Shrinkage After Starching!!!

1/4" Shrinkage After Starching!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Moz

I stopped prewashing my fabrics when I worked at a quilt shop and we cut and sewed out tops in-house. I like your suggestion for starching after washing though.

I've found that many of the reproduction fabrics have a lower thread count and pieces can shrink significantly when dampened in any way and then hit with a hot iron. I know that many teachers suggest starching your finished blocks and then starching them into submission to get the desired finished block size. But be certain your working with prewashed fabric before you try this or your block will shrink decidedly rather than grow. I love the crinkly look my unwashed fabrics and batting give me after washing and drying. Quilter's choice. I was given the tip to prewashed muslin backings first however since it tends to shrink disproportionately to your average quilting fabric.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
How peculiar is this: the 3" strips are just fine!
The 8 inch strips shrank 16/64ths of an inch (which works out to a quarter inch). That means that the shrinkage per inch would have been 2/64ths of an inch. The shrinkage over 3 inches would have been 6/64ths of an inch or 3/32nds of an inch.

Most rulers are not marked precisely enough to measure such a tiny difference. That's actually narrower than the heavy lines on most of the common ruler brands.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Originally Posted by SueSew
Krystyna, I am so sorry you ran into trouble - sharing your trouble on the board is often a way to save the rest of us from a similar fate. Usually starch makes a piece bigger and sizing shrinks it up, in my experience.

You have my sympathy - and hope your class is great :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I do hope someone else learns from this. The directions said to starch HEAVILY so everything would be really crisp. What a mess. I'll be cutting until midnight at this rate.
Was your fabric 100% cotton? Tight weave?
If I may ask, how much did you pay for it?