Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 foot

I use the guide 1/4 inch. Sews perfect scant 1/4 inch.

I found that I was getting wider than 1/4" with the special foot. Then I discovered that lining up the edge of my fabric with the right edge of the center of the screw holding the throat plate in place on my Featherweight gave me an almost perfect scant 1/4". Always there and easy to keep lined up in advance of going under the foot.

I trued up my seams using the Eleanor Burns method. I found that I needed to move my needle to the left in order to get a true 1/4" seam, even with my 1/4" foot My quilt blocks improved dramatically after doing so. I suggest doing this with every machine. Needle position can affect seam allwance.
    Sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 02-26-2013 at 03:59 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I use the 1/4 with guide and it does a great job of keeping it straight. But my machine also has the markings for the 1/4 on it, which I use as well. The markings on the machine are much longer than on most machines. Name:  100_0497.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  468.8 KB

You can see the markings on my machine from this picture. I don't think any other machines have this ... but I could be wrong too.
    Amythyst

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I don't use any foot with a guide on it, especially a quarter inch foot.

One downfall of the foot with a guide is that the fabric can sometimes go underneath the guide without your even knowing it. That defeats the whole purpose and messes up the seam allowance. If you're not aware that the guide isn't working, you may never know why things don't line up right down the road. Fabric never slips under moleskin, guaranteed!
    I bought 2 different feet (reg shank and slant shank) and did not like them for the same reason as posted here. Also, as a PP stated, it's hard to sew if you like to use pins because they get caught on the guide edge. I took a pair of pliers and took both of the guides off.

I like Bonnie Hunters method of creating a scant 1/4" seam because it won't ruin the bed of my vintage/antique machine.

Good luck and enjoy making your first quilt!

I am a fairly new quilter and have a 1/4 foot with guide. I would never sew without my 1/4 foot. Love it. Guide helps to butt the fabric against something

Just remember that sometimes (majority) it means a scant 1/4" As one of the quilting ladies said- one or two threads under 1/4 ". All my starting blocks ended up just shy of why they should be. Come to think of it - they still do when I use my foot with the guide.

With built in guide.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I have found that the 1/4" foot sometimes makes your seams a little bit bigger than 1/4". I usually use a regular foot that accommodates zig zag stitches and move my needle to the right until I get a scant 1/4". On my Elna and Brother the needle position is 6.5. Also by doing this you have more of the presser foot on the fabric, which keeps the fabric from wandering. Happy quilting.

suzyquilter

Quote Originally Posted by mimmy96 View Post
    I am new to quilting... I have read that I need a 1/4 foot for my machine for piecing. I looked online.. Am I just needing the basic one, or the one with guide? My machine already came with a walking foot, so I am good there! Getting ready to start working on my very first quilt! Yay!
    My new fancy Brother came with a quarter inch foot with guide and I didn't really care for it. Ended up using my 1/4 inch foot from my old Brother.

I believe your best foot is the regular foot on your machine. Marci Baker uses Qtools, Corner Cut 60 and Sewing Edge - this product is amazing. More accurate and much less expensive than 1/4" foot. Good luck!
    Love 4 stchen

Quote Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
    I have both, and I realy like the one with the guide. I get more consistant seam size. If you can move your needle position over 1 click to the right, you have a perfect scant 1/4". Have fun with your first quilt!
    the "guided" one is ok, for me anyway, when doing just straight seam stitching, but if I am sewing a piece with a "dog ear" to a regular, or even two triangle edges that stick out.....they get hung up on that guide, have to stop raise it, slide past and proceed...a pain in tush.....so I prefer the unguided one, with a strip of moleskin on the bed of the machine for further down guidance....just my way of doing it..

Blog Entries
    There are lots of methods for getting an accurate scant 1/4 inch.... you could buy either of the feet you mentned, or none, or both, or a variety of other feet made to fit different machines. The end result of gettng the seam allowance you need, is what is important....just find one way that works.

Blog Entries
    I have an attachment which has a slide bar which you set for whatever seam allowance you want. It has been so long since I bought it it is hard to remember just where I got it.
    I can take a picture and email it if you like. There is an online store that sells all sorts of extras for quilting and sewing machines. I really believe I got it there.
    If you are interested in seeing a picture of this little thing, just pm me and I will be glad to take a picture and send. I have one for both sewing machines.
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Do you need a 1/4" foot? No. But it is easier, IMHO, to use one with a guide. I've tried other methods and this works best for me. When I pin something I put the pins parallel to the seam line and far enough from the edge to clear the presser foot. I don't have to worry about sewing over pins and I have a straight 1/4" seam.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I recently bought a 1/4" pressure foot. Love love love it! I have a Singer Pro and a Brothers 1/4" pressure foot fit my machine and was $16.00 at local Shappley's store.

I did try the methods of mole skin, post it note strips, etc to mark a 1/4" line. My seam(s) still varied just enough to cause the piecing to be 'off'.

Accurate cutting and accurate seam allowance will make your experience much more enjoyable. Good luck with your first quilt. Beware: quilting is addictive

Something else I learned: the ending portion of my seams were vearing to the right....I learned to keep my free hand on the material until all of it passed under the needle. Amazing what a difference this made in the seams.
    Last edited by linda faye; 02-26-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

I always use the 1/4 inch foot with a guide. I've thought about buying the "Little Foot" but paying over $20 for a little piece of plastic is rather expensive.
    Karen in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    You don't really need a 1/4" foot. You just need to know where the 1/4" seam allowance. You can mark your machine with a piece of tape or something else, including a pen. I do have a 1/4" foot for one machine, but not the other.
    Agree - I have a tape stack that I use in front of the foot to help guide my fabric. I quickly found out that if I relied on a guide attached to the foot the fabric could slip under the guide. The physical barrier (like a moleskin stack or Bonnie Hunter's hotel key or my 1/4 inch tape) helps especially when I use my walking foot - which is definitely wider than 1/4 inch.

I use the Perkins Perfect Quarter Inch Seam Guide (a short yellow ruler) to set the measurement for the scant quarter inch on my machine.

Cheers, K

I still use blue painters tape

Blog Entries
    I also have purchased the 1/4" foot, while it can be helpful, it can cause a train wreck at the end of your seems. Not enough foot to hold the material, when I use the 1/4 I have to use my seam ripper or chop stick to make sure it feeds at a 1/4 inch at the end of the seam. Lots of good ideas here!
    Tulip

"Takeyour needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose byand by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I love the 1/4 inch foot with guide. I have one for all of my machines. I make perfect seams, no problem. I would recommend one highly. Welcome to the quilting world. Have fun. Another thing I would highly recommend is June Tailor's Shape Cut rulers. The Shape Cut rulers make cutting strips so easy and very accurate.

Happy to see this question and will try some of the suggestions.

Thanks everyone.. I think I will go ahead and buy the one wit a guide and go from there.. They are both the same price with or without the guide so wanted to order the better one! .. I realize everyone is different, but I will try!. Thank you for all the ideas.. I am sure I will use them all along the way!

Quote Originally Posted by stchenfool View Post
    I believe your best foot is the regular foot on your machine. Marci Baker uses Qtools, Corner Cut 60 and Sewing Edge - this product is amazing. More accurate and much less expensive than 1/4" foot. Good luck!
    I agree with this. Whenever anyone says to sew with a 1/4" seam allowance, I think they really mean a scant 1/4" seam allowance. If you test sew 3 - 2" wide strips together , press seams and measure the width of your strip set when done, you can easily test to see what your seam allowance really is. Your strip set should be 5" wide. Also moving your needle over is not the best thing to do to achieve a scant 1/4" seam allowance. Libby Lehman showed a tutorial on, The Quilt Show about this, and your stitches become a bit crooked, since the bobbin thread is being pulled a bit to the side when you move your needle off from the exact center.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfay View Post
    I have sewn garments and interior decorating for years. I got use to making the wider seams and even using a regular foot with the 1/4 markings I found I was still making the seams too wide for quilting. I bought the 1/4" foot with the guide from Amazon and I LOVE it. I don't sew too much with pins but when I have to use a pin I try and put it in from the left, that way I can pull it out closer to the foot than when I put it in from the right.

The only thing I don't like about the foot is I have a top loading bobbin and I have to raise the pressure foot to take the plastic cover off the bobbin case. I have no problems going over seams because I turn one, one way and the other one the other way. That keeps the seams from being too thick and lets them match more.
    I bought my 1/4 inch feet with guides (can't keep up with them, so always have a spare) from Amazon and love them. Trying such a foot is certainly an inexpensive experiment. froggyintexas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast