Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4 inch foot >

1/4 inch foot

1/4 inch foot

Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 AM

I had the same problem with my Janome. I ended up using my Vintage Model 66 for piecing. I can use the regular seam guide as it has an extra hole that is closer.

Since then I have barely touched my Janome. All that money wasted! I only use it now when I need a different stitch or the free arm for purses, etc.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 AM

Am not so sure it is the 1/4 inch that is off; but the fact that most instructions want you to make a scant quarter, so that when pressed it is a perfect 1/4. I also have to move my needle over one to get it right.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:17 AM

That's interesting. I also recently discovered the same thing with the 1/4 foot on my Brother. It made a too generous seam. Theoretically, I thought it wouldn't matter if I was consistent. Wrong. Especially because the designer of the pattern I was using wanted scant 1/4 seams (not to mention a couple of major measurement typos in the pattern - but that's a whole different topic) .Eventually, I ripped out the blocks and measured a scant 1/4 inch from the '0' position needle, and used a regular foot. It seemed like the 1/4 foot actually measured about three threads greater than a 1/4 inch.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:40 AM

On my Brother I have a foot that has a line drawn on it. I set my needle to 6.5 and make sure I sew with the fabric edge *not hitting* the line by a *smidge*. Works for me.

On my Singer I use the 1/4" foot (or so I think it is?) and I have a small piece of tape with a line drawn on it on the plate. When I sew I don't want the fabric 'past the foot' NOR do I want to 'see the line'. I give myself a tiny bit of sewing leeway to get my 1/4".

Besides - having to use the foot and the line on the machine's bed - helps keep my mind wandering too much when I'm mass producing blocks. "ooops there's the line - the fabric's over too much to the left" "ooops it's past the foot - it's over too much to the right" KWIM?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by lhavelka
Well I found out the hard way that my 1/4 inch foot that I purchased for my Brother machine is not a true 1/4 inch. I sewed three 2 1/2 strips together and then cut them into 2 1/2 blocks. After sewing them together and pressing it was supposed to measure 6 1/2 inches. I had a piece that was supposed to get sewn onto this that measured 6 1/2. Well guess what, it didnt fit. Not even close. I took out all the stitches and did it without the 1/4 inch foot and guess what.... it fit. You would think that when you buy a 1/4 inch foot it would work.
i have a brotherpc6000,was in the shop because if i want to use the 1/4 "foot i have to re-set the needle evevry time.the last time i forgot the needle jammed into the bobbin race & really messed ti up bad.took 3 wks to get it back,still isn't right so it's back in again.almost every "special" foot have to re-set needle. now i have a post-it to remind me to check needle
Old 06-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Power Poster

ReRe on the board gave me a way to get the 1/4" without the special foot and it works :wink: Now I have it taped to my machine :thumbup:

Using the N or J foot depending on if you want a true 1/4" or a scant

DO NOT select a stitch number leave it at 00 Stitch length can be 2.5 or 2.0, the number under that 7.0 :thumbup: And no more special foot needed :lol:
Old 06-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Google Goddess

wow, awesome

Originally Posted by sharon b
ReRe on the board gave me a way to get the 1/4" without the special foot and it works :wink: Now I have it taped to my machine :thumbup:

Using the N or J foot depending on if you want a true 1/4" or a scant

DO NOT select a stitch number leave it at 00 Stitch length can be 2.5 or 2.0, the number under that 7.0 :thumbup: And no more special foot needed :lol: