Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4 inch Quilter's Tape >

1/4 inch Quilter's Tape

1/4 inch Quilter's Tape

Old 07-11-2010, 04:43 PM

hi. when using Tiger Tape , does anyone have any good way to adhere it to the quilt top, so that it stays put when doing hand stitching? I can't seem to keep it secure, and find myself having to reposition it all the time..
Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 PM

Seems like it's all or nothing on the stickiness! I use painter's tape and it works just right for me. I lay a long strip on my cutting mat and cut it to a quarter inch width with the rotary cutter.

BTW, Goof-Off, Goop, Goo-B-Gone and WD-40 are all petroleum based and apt to leave oil in place of the 'stick' if you're not very careful. Alcohol would be a safer bet on fabric, imho.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:19 AM

Ghostrider, you don't need to cut painter's tape into 1/4 inch strips. You can buy it in that width at the auto paint shops. It isn't usually colored, but looks like regular masking tape. It works fine and doesn't leave a residue.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
Ghostrider, you don't need to cut painter's tape into 1/4 inch strips. You can buy it in that width at the auto paint shops. It isn't usually colored, but looks like regular masking tape. It works fine and doesn't leave a residue.
Good to know, but I use it for a lot of other things too (like painting!!) so I don't mind at all cutting it for quilting. I like multi-taskers. :-D
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 AM

I know this thread is older but, this might help someone..I have used 1/4" quilters tape in my faux finishing and murals for years..
You had the right idea, anytime you have tape that sticks too much..The best thing to do is press it against some fabric a couple of times..I have had strips running from below breast to the hem of my shirt may times lol
Also check your paint store for 1/4" scotch brand tape "delicate"- won't lift up your existing paint on the walls when you trim out to paint.
It also makes a nice thin quilt grid patten for quilting and its the only tape that you can flex and bend into shapes..Love the stuff
Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 AM

I worked in a Auto paint store and have used the pinstriping tape, Way,way less expensive. Does not leave any residue on the fabric. I would think an auto store like Checkers, Auto Zone or Advance Auto would carry it.