Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 1/4 in or Scant 1/4 in

1/4 in or Scant 1/4 in

It may be a coincidence, but lately so many videos/tutes/demos on blogs or YouTube just say "sew a 1/4 inch seam allowance", no mention is ever made of the scant 1/4. I even attended a workshop recently and it wasn't mentioned.

I was taught to always use the scant (won't mention the time I pieced half the blocks using scant and the other half full 1/4! )

Remembering to reset my sewing machine everytime is a pain, but so is cutting off the points and having to rip out.

Did I missed a new trick or something?

HettyB

HettyB

Power Poster
    I use the 1/4 inch foot on my Bernina. I use Aurifil thread so the fold over doesn't take as much material. The most important thing is to be consistent with your seam allowance.

I use a 1/4 in. seam allowance just be consistent with your seam allowance, if you size is off after the top is pieced you can always make it up in the border width it won't be much.

Blog Entries
    The thing is, you don't measure the seam allowance, you measure the resultant patch. Here's a good way to check:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I agree with everyone else that consistency is the key. Not only in your actual sewing but in your measuring/cutting as well. Always use the same brand rulers throughout your project and always measure the same way (on the line; left or right of the line; etc).

Blog Entries
    if you are using thick thread on thick fabric, a scant 1/4 would be needed for the folding allowance.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I use the 1/4 inch foot on my Bernina. I use Aurifil thread so the fold over doesn't take as much material. The most important thing is to be consistent with your seam allowance.
    I agree, just use my 1/4" inch foot for my Bernina so my seam allowance is consistent.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Where it will make a difference is if you are making multiple quilt blocks with a varied number of seams in each block and you are expecting your blocks to match up in finished size and have points or seams match or your quilt to be relatively square when you sew it together. The best test is to check your seam allowance by checking the size of your finished product, just like the link suggests that PaperPrincess provided. Your thread weight/thickness, fabric weight and cutting methods all play a part in getting it to what it needs to be.

No one can give me a precise definition of scant 1/4", so I just use the 1/4" foot. Seems to work for me, but I'm not out to make prize winning quilts.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    No one can give me a precise definition of scant 1/4", so I just use the 1/4" foot. Seems to work for me, but I'm not out to make prize winning quilts.
    My definition of a scant 1/4" - When the needle is just a hair to the right side of the 1/4" line.

Cari

Originally Posted by cathyvv

My definition of a scant 1/4" - When the needle is just a hair to the right side of the 1/4" line.

Cari

My definition is the "designer" didn't do it right. Quilts have been made thru the ages without a "scant".
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Bonnie Hunter's quilts are mostly "scant" quarter. I've found that it generally takes more than "a thread or two" move to make a scant quarter. After so many years of sewing 1/4" seams, it is hard to adjust to sewing "scant" quarter seams.

I agree with the thought that seams can depend on the fabric and the thread when the seam is pressed over. Disclaimer: I am not in any way ready for "quilt police". :-)
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Blog Entries
    I do understand the need for accurate seams, so if I read "scant quater inch in a challenging pattern, I just look for a different pattern. Works for me. It took way too long to become accurate with a quarter inch, I have no inclination to change. Call me stubborn, but my corners match!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I do understand the need for accurate seams, so if I read "scant quater inch in a challenging pattern, I just look for a different pattern. Works for me. It took way too long to become accurate with a quarter inch, I have no inclination to change. Call me stubborn, but my corners match!
    Lol! Well said! I've been quilting for 30 years and to me the "scant 1/4" is a new addition to quilting. I just sew the way I always have and voila! No problems.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    Whenever I do a Karen Combs pattern, you really have to do a "scant" 1/4 inch...somehow the seams don't match otherwise...or could be just me!