Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4 seam vs scant seam >

1/4 seam vs scant seam

1/4 seam vs scant seam

Old 05-05-2011, 04:52 AM

Consistency is the key. Sew a sample with scraps to make sure you are coming out to the correct finnished size. Try several. Label each one of your samples with precise notes so that you know what really works for you. Pressing is very important IMO. I press the piece as sewn first, then I press my seams open. To me, it reduces bulk as well as makes lining up next piece much easier. Your quilt will not fall apart in the wash even with these tiny seams! Typically everything overlaps so that all pieces are 'locked' into place. Even with open seams. It may be that you need to cut a smidge larger and trim for some or all blocks. Whatever works until you get there.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Consistency is the key. Sew a sample with scraps to make sure you are coming out to the correct finnished size. Try several. Label each one of your samples with precise notes so that you know what really works for you. Pressing is very important IMO. I press the piece as sewn first, then I press my seams open. To me, it reduces bulk as well as makes lining up next piece much easier. Your quilt will not fall apart in the wash even with these tiny seams! Typically everything overlaps so that all pieces are 'locked' into place. Even with open seams. It may be that you need to cut a smidge larger and trim for some or all blocks. Whatever works until you get there.
I have a quilt on my bed that is fraying. It is 2 years old. I did not make this quilt, I bought it. It makes me sick because it is my favorite quilt. It was't cheap either!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 AM

To me, fraying would be an indication of the fabric itself breaking down versus the actual construction of the quilt.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 AM

To me, fraying would be an indication of the fabric itself breaking down versus the actual construction of the quilt.
The fabric is strong. It is the tiny seams. I think a scant 1/4" is the pits! I'm ready to start making mine 1/2".
Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer
The fabric is strong. It is the tiny seams. I think a scant 1/4" is the pits! I'm ready to start making mine 1/2".
Interesting. If it is a mass produced quilt? that may be the problem. It might not have been sewn w/ 1/4" seams - only trimmed to that (or something smaller?).
Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer
Interesting. If it is a mass produced quilt? that may be the problem. It might not have been sewn w/ 1/4" seams - only trimmed to that (or something smaller?).
That may be the problem. Scant 1/4" seem to be the only way to make my blocks and points match.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM

There are patterns that you absolutely need to 1/4 in order for the pattern to work. Mary Ellen Hopkins books/patterns she has the PPM as she calls it (private, personal measurement) and as long as your sewing is consistent throughtout the construction of the quilt, these patterns will work. This is not true with all quilt patterns. My opinion, if you need to learn to sew consistent to have your quilts go together, might as well learn to sew a scant 1/4 inch and be any to piece it all. Still working on that skill.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
There are patterns that you absolutely need to 1/4 in order for the pattern to work. Mary Ellen Hopkins books/patterns she has the PPM as she calls it (private, personal measurement) and as long as your sewing is consistent throughtout the construction of the quilt, these patterns will work. This is not true with all quilt patterns. My opinion, if you need to learn to sew consistent to have your quilts go together, might as well learn to sew a scant 1/4 inch and be any to piece it all. Still working on that skill.
Isn't Mary Ellen a hoot? I sure enjoyed her episodes on Simply Quilts.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Love her. Quite a few number of years ago she was at a local quilt shop for a lecture kind of thing. She was absolutely wonderful. If she was still doing things like that in my area, I would go in a heartbeat.
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
Isn't Mary Ellen a hoot? I sure enjoyed her episodes on Simply Quilts.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Why or why can't patterns be made that use a "regular" 1/4 inch. Would be so much easier!