Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1-l/2" ruler >

1-l/2" ruler

1-l/2" ruler

Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 AM

When I started quilting in the late 70s and bought my first rotary cutter, it came with 3 pieces of plexy (?). They were 2", 1 1/2" and 1" by 18". I still have them but no longer use them. They had no markings on them whatsoever. Yolanda Wood River
Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 AM

I would get teh shape cut ruler, that way you can cut a number of strips at teh same time without moving the ruler. Just mark off which ones you are to use.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Fort
Does anyone know where I can find/order a 1-1/2" ruler? I'm new to quilting and need all the help I can get.
I've never seen one. If you have trouble with your ruler slipping while you're cutting, purchase a little packet of self-adhesive sandpaper circles and stick them on the bottom of your ruler. The sandpaper grips the fabric and holds it in place while you cut.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Also, for cutting strips, the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler is fantastic! I mark my spots with the small post it's and it works great!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-19-2011, 06:02 AM

Does anyone know where I can find/order a 1-1/2" ruler? I'm new to quilting and need all the help I can get.
Buy a June Tailor Shape Cut. Once you try it, you will never be without it. froggyintexas
Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 AM

If you are new to quilting you may need to take a class at your LQS. Having said that, I hope I understand your question. When you are new to quilting there are so many simple ways that seem impossible to figure out yourself.

The way I cut strips is by putting the fabric on a big cutting pad that has lots of squares 1" apart. First, prepare your "fold" so that your fabric hangs straight (hold by the finished edges and let it drape down from your hands) and shift it until the material hangs straight with no "drape curve". Then cut off the selvage using a 6x24 ruler, usually 3/4" in. Then position your fabric on the cutting mat by lining up the selvage (or what was the selvage since you have cut the selvage off) along the top and cut the fabric just as much as needed to square it off (you'll end up with a loooong triangle piece of scrap). Now your threads are basically straight.

Then, using the lines on the mat grid, keeping your fabric folded in half, put the formerly selvage edge on the top line and your newly cut "end" on one of the grid lines coming down. You cut your 1.5" line by lining up the ruler to the 1.5" mark into your fabric and holding the long ruler down firmly while you run a rotary blade along it and you have a 1.5" piece of fabric. There is a new ruler out that has a pressure device that grips the fabric so if you have wrist or hand problems you can use it w/o putting so much pressure on it.

I, also, would never use a narrow ruler with a rotary cutter.... just too dangerous. And what good it it? You'd just have to cut with the wrong hand to get the second side or move around the table. It's easier and safer to position your fabric and simply move the 24" ruler 1.5" each time.

Also, consider getting "Quilting for Dummies". I've been quilting 10 years now and I still find wonderful answers to irritating little questions in that book. I hope this helps. I remember how lost I was at first, and even though I'm still learning more as I quilt, how grateful I was for help. Also, I also was "in hiding" on QB until I realized the safe nature of this blog. If you come out of hiding you may find that very willing experienced quilters on BQ may live near you!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 AM

I need a 1-l/2" ruler to cut strips. I know I can mark off larger rulers to 1-l/2 but find I get off the line and cut the width incorrectly. A 1-1/2 approx 18 or 24 would be perfect.
buy a june taylor shape cutter ruler--it has slots every 1/2" to cut strips--works great! On the 12" one, you would cut@ 1.5,3.0,4.50,6.0,7.50,9.0,10.5,&12.0, w/o having to move your ruler!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by quilt crazee
buy a june taylor shape cutter ruler--it has slots every 1/2" to cut strips--works great! On the 12" one, you would cut@ 1.5,3.0,4.50,6.0,7.50,9.0,10.5,&12.0, w/o having to move your ruler!
I have the Husqverna Viking quarter cut. When using it I pre-mark my choices with blue painters tape. This speeds up my cutting as I don't have to stop & calculate each time.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Can't wait to retire like my hubby, too! So much I want to do, to see and to create. Hang in there and it's an amazing tool - the Accuquilt Go Cutter. Has saved me many a hour cutting multiple pieces, especially for rag quilts that I donate.
Originally Posted by carolaug
I have this die...I haven't used it yet but will...wish I was retired...
Originally Posted by Covered in Threads
There is one with the Accuquilt Die Cutters. Check out Accuquilt.com It actually cuts 4 strips from the folded width of 22" in length all at the same time. In other words, when you fold your fabric matching up the selvedge edges, line it up on the cutting die, pop the protective plastic on top, roll the fabric thru the crank area and you will get 4 perfectly cut 1 1/2" strips of fabric. I love my Accuquilt Go Cutter for multiple pieces.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 AM

with a ruler that thin you take the risk of cutting your fingers, the June Taylor shape cutter would be a good investment.......that is what I use if I am doing a lot of same size strips instead of the 6 1/2" x 24 quilters choice I use for almost everything else.