Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
10 yr old quilting >

10 yr old quilting

10 yr old quilting

Old 06-16-2011, 04:01 AM

Why not introduce her to 'charm squares' for her first quilt.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 AM

I don't think you are being over protective at all those cutters are scarey sharp and can do long term nerve damage depending on the severity of the cut.

That being said you know your gd better than us. I have a 17 yr old I wouldn't let near a rotary cutter because to him everything is a game, but my 12 yr. old I would let use the cutter because she is cautious and careful, and she understands its not a toy.

Now, if it were me I would do the cutting just for the fact that is she gets the measuring and cutting wrong it might discourage her from finishing the quilt. My cutting is horrible as a result there were 2 yrs between my first and second quilt. If you cut them straight for her she will be happier with her end product.

I cannot wait to see her quilt have fun passing on a tradition. :)
Old 06-16-2011, 04:33 AM

My husband has a glove made to clean fish without cutting your hand. It's made of metal mesh . Bet it would work
Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 AM

just make sure you get her a pair of the gloves that are for protecting her hands while she cuts. that and with you by her side should make a safe cutting enviroment; just tell her she always has to do it like that and no solo cutting
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 AM

I have her cut it out with a scissor if she wants to do it herself. Heard of too many horror stories from adults who really hurt themselves.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:52 AM

My GD was 10 when she began rotary cutting with me. Just stand close by....she'll do great! :-D
Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 AM

they make protective gloves so if you slip, you will not cut yourself ... I would purchase a pair for safety ... how about a strip quilt from WOF where you fold the fabric and make 2 1/2" strips ... half the cutting
Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 AM

Never too young to learn to quilt! You already know the importance of safety and you can teach her. It will be a gift of a lifetime!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 AM

Write out some safety instructions about where to put hands etc. whilst cutting. Then tell her that you will give her a safety test. Demonstrate to her as to safe practice and then supervise without hovering and she will surprise you.Of course, make sure that the tools are sharp. I really believe that people have more accidents with blunt tools when they have to push and shove to get things working.
I find if I emphasise, to the kids I teach any sewing to, that they have to use a proper quilting ruler and that the thinner rulers are dangerous, they are very safety conscious.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter
My 10 yr old granddaughter wants to make a quilt for her full size bed. She has done some sewing and made a same quilt with squares I cut. She really wants to cut the pieces herself. I'm concerned about her using a rotary cutter - am I being an over protected Grandma?
I don't think you are being an over protective grandma. I wouldn't let a 10 year old use a rotary cutter. Having said that, it really depends on the level of maturity and capabilities of a child as to when they could handle one. I allowed one of my grandchildren to use a rotary cutter at an earlier age than another, because I could see she was more capable.